Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may seem like a dumb question, but does anyone know a good place to get shells online? I would like to get some for my tank but have no clue where to buy them. My LFS does not carry them, and I do not see any around my apartment to use either.

·
Registered
189 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you're looking for something local, one place to look is specialty food stores. Shells meant for escargot tend to be a decent size/shape for many of the shellies.

Craft stores also often have shells of different types, but it's somewhat hit and miss. Their shells are generally chosen for appearance, not suitability for homes.

I've even seen some shells at PetSmart, but, like those at the craft stores, they didn't all look ideal for shellies.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the link Kiriyama! Do you have any recommendations? I see there are quite a few listed on the website.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i've ordered shells for my multies from Shells of Aquarius out of Florida, prices are extremely reasonable and Jeri Ann is super helpful. Don't be afraid to tell her that the shells are for aquarium fishes

Hope you find what you're looking for
mike

·
Registered
38 Posts
Shells of aquarius worked well for me. Also got some off of ebay fairly cheap, about 70 whale eye shells for $10.

·
Super Moderator
40,487 Posts
I order from cichlidbreeding.com as well and favor whale-eyes for the shellies. My calvus prefer tonna shells to rocks or ceramic calvus caves.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts