Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, *** been around all my local fish stores today in a search for good quality vibrant cichlids to inspire me as to what direction to move my tank in and was very disappointed, colours are dull and you are very very limited on what species you can get at all, am feeling now that although i dont like the sound of it i may just have to order some online as this seems to be the only option for obtaining exactly what you are after, is this a bad option or is this the norm in this hobby?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had to order fish online. I think it would be really tough for most people to find all the species they liked at their LFS, unless it was one bada$$ LFS :)

Not sure what the forum policy is on posting names of online sites, but I would check out some of the ones in the review section. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/reviews/retailer_index.php

·
Registered
118 Posts
natedgg said:
I had to order fish online. I think it would be really tough for most people to find all the species they liked at their LFS, unless it was one bada$$ LFS :)
I agree. I have at least 7 great stores here in Philadelphia, where I have gotten equipment and whatever at great prices, but they all have 3 or 4 tanks that are labeled "Mixed" cichlids. Online seems the way to go.

·
Banned
2,109 Posts
Look towards the reviews section... :thumb:

·
Registered
9,070 Posts
"colours are dull"

Which fish are you looking for? Many fish will be dull as juveniles, this is very normal. Adult males only shine when comfortable in a tank. Color is variable. Part of the fun is growing the fish and seeing them mature, not just buying instant gratification like a marine fish.

As for online, it varies... you can get some species that you will rarely or never find otherwise. A few sites will make it sound so easy to get colourful fish, but are really just getting their fish from the same distribution network as the stores. Always beware of sight unseen, some places will always tell you all their fish is great.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
I rarely buy fish from an LFS but that is more of a price and selection thing than a quality issue. One thing to note is that many LFS do not light their tanks very well, so try examining the fish with a flashlight.

I have no problem with buying fish sight unseen, even when in a hatchery I often let the employees net my fish without examining them. But I choose vendors with a national reputation and as mentioned, usually buy uncolored juveniles. :thumb:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Fish look dull - I've bought fish and after 2-3 days show colour in my tank. Then again I also have dull coloured fish in my tank. But all and all the character of the the fish is what I like.

My 2c

·
Registered
388 Posts
That being said, look around the Trading Post section here, and also look at people's signatures/tanklist. Have hooked up with many enthusiastic hobbyists that way for trading or regular sales.

Also worth noting, is let your LFS know you are looking for 'better quality' mbuna. They might be willing to order some F1's from their same supplier. At that time, ask that they place their regular garrauntee on them :wink:

pm sent

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Please send PM's, instead of specifically naming retailers.

In addition, to the OP, the reviews section gives you plenty of reviews of members experiences with many retailers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
noki said:
colours are dull Which fish are you looking for? Many fish will be dull as juveniles, this is very normal. Adult males only shine when comfortable in a tank. Color is variable. Part of the fun is growing the fish and seeing them mature, not just buying instant gratification like a marine fish. :
To be fair *** taken this comment on board, the LFS i visited today had Juvenile Johannis and they were no where near as beautiful as mine, its been a good lesson though, *** learnt to appreciate the beautiful fish i do already have :) *** managed to find room in the house for another 60 Gallon tank and after all the feedback think i might risk trying buying online :wink:

cantrell00 said:
Look towards San Antonio, Texas to find that which you seek... :thumb:
I would but i live in Birmingham in the UK :) think maybe thats a little too far for them to package through the post :wink: I know this is a mainly American site but seriously i dont know anyone else here who likes there cichlids like i do :( this site is invaluable to me

DJRansome said:
One thing to note is that many LFS do not light their tanks very well, so try examining the fish with a flashlight.
Great idea :thumb: il try that

iwade4fish said:
let your LFS know you are looking for 'better quality' mbuna. They might be willing to order some F1's from their same supplier. At that time, ask that they place their regular garrauntee on them :wink: :
:thumb: will try this also thankyou

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fogelhund said:
Please send PM's, instead of specifically naming retailers.

In addition, to the OP, the reviews section gives you plenty of reviews of members experiences with many retailers.
Sorry, i was just after experiences of buying online as its pretty much geographically impossible for me to share suppliers with you guys, i was just after a little nudge i guess to go for it :) I read all your planned stock lists etc and you would no way get specific cichlids like that here so i will clearly need to do more work on finding online suppliers, thanks

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
No worries, anyway I think you are in the Midlands, UK... some other posted names to some retailers in the US, which wouldn't have helped you anyway.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.