Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have seen they sell corrugated hose kits for overflows to sumps, but they want $40 for it. I was at Lowes yesterday and didn't see any corrugated hoses, but I also didn't ask anyone. I currently use PVC for my sump drain line and I don't like it that way, I want something flexible. Where does everyone get their corrugate hoses for sump drain lines?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Home depot but you have to ask for it as it can be in a number of places..just curious why you dont like the PVC? not that i have a preference just wondering

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the PVC I am very limited on how it is positioned. I didn't want to glue the PVC to the bulkhead on my overflow. Right now, I basically have the PVC attached to the overflow, one pipe hanger supporting its weight and then it dumps into the sump. I would prefer to have a sump inlet with a PVC connection and the bulkhead PVC connection, then a corrugated hose to attach the two. Right now, they have to be positioned very specifically.

I'll check HD at lunch, thanks.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did find a universal kit at Home Depot for $10. I didn't buy it yet because I had to verify the size I needed for my overflow. I think I have 1" PVC and the hose connects to a 1-1/4" barb with threads. I'll have add a coupling and an adapter with threads.

Ebay does have some, I searched 'sump drain hose' and there they are. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome, I will check there too. Not sure if we have anymore ace's around here though, only one I know of closed. I'll have to check their site.

Do you know how much it is per foot?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
RRasco said:
Awesome, I will check there too. Not sure if we have anymore ace's around here though, only one I know of closed. I'll have to check their site.

Do you know how much it is per foot?
Sorry, I don't remember exactly. I wanna say it was in the $2-4 per foot range though.

Sometimes Ace's are hard to find. A lot (all?) are privately owned. The one nearest me is called Dunn Hardware, for example. Look for the ACE sign in the window.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
SpaFlex and flexible PVC are a litle tougher to work with than corrugated hose. You would want to glue the connections as they are very difficult to clamp. When you work with it you will see what I mean. Lowes has the spaflex for $1 a foot or something like that in 1" diameter.

I do not use the corrugated hose myself, though many in the reef community do, I feel it adds too much restriction in the flow back to the sump limiting what you can push back into the DT. It can flex around a football though if needed where flexPVC will be less compliant to tight bends.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Yeah... I tried all the types of hoses too.. until I finally settled on the clear braided vinyl tubing with metal hose clamps.. sure.. they don't flex well but once they are on and running in your system.. who really goes around bending all the hoses on a regular basis anyways?

You could always try using corrugated bilge hose. They have this stuff at Lowe's. It's white and is sold by the foot. You will need to clamp these as no adhesive will bond to them.. I've tried all kinds of adhesives and always had leaks... I know a buddy of mine is using them with clamps for his connections.. but I went with the vinyl tubing for my set up.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Rhinox said:
At my local ace hardware, they sell it by the foot off a big roll. Just cut the length you need. I think its called spaflex.
Just to clarify, I bought the currogated hose from ace hardware. I thought it was called spaflex. Turns out spaflex is something different.

I do not find the currogated hose to be the limiting restriction in my setup.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts