Cichlid Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be getting a 20g in the next few weeks and want to stock it with Apistogramma nijsseni, Apistogramma panduro, or Apistogramma baenschi. I can't seem to find these anywhere though! Can someone suggest a good breeder or online fish supplier?

And how many of any of them, could I put in a 20g?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ebjdftw said:
As far as stocking goes, you could probably do one pair of any one of those in a 20g. I think any more and the same sex apistos will fight. (male vs males, female vs females).
Oh okay. Any idea where to find them?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
adam79 said:
http://www.wetspottropicalfish.com/

Out of the three only A. Panduro at the moment, but they regularly have a good selection of apistos.
Thanks! If not these, then I'm considering Haplochromis sp. "Dayglow"

·
Registered
66 Posts
Apistogramma nijsseni, Apistogramma panduro are the same beast. Apistogramma nijsseni is the proper name for the species. They are a bit more demanding that some of the other Apistogramma species in that like their water a bit more on the acid side.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Incorrect, A. nijsseni and A. panduro are distinct species. Males are very similar in appearance (there are minor differences), but the females are very distinct from one another. Romer gave a formal description to the fish known as sp. "Pandurini" in 1997, changing it to panduro so as to cause confusion. :-? :lol:

Behaviorally, they are also a bit different. A. panduro is a much more mellow fish than nijsseni. I've had female nijsseni kill males twice their size. It would also be better to keep two or three females in a long 20 with one male on the panduro. They are like most Apistos, harem keepers. Male has a large territory with a few females holding smaller ones around their preferred spawning sites within. Female Apistos often face off over territorial boundaries, but rarely get into actual fights. Give them caves that are a foot or so apart.

I've not kept baenschi, as the "Inca 50" came along when I was not in an Apisto keeping phase, so the price was a bit more than what I would pay. That's dropped to a more reasonable level, I'm just into other things these days. It has the colors of nijsseni and panduro, but also dorsal spikes like the Cockatoos. Maybe I'll clear a tank for them one of these days.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chromedome52 said:
Incorrect, A. nijsseni and A. panduro are distinct species. Males are very similar in appearance (there are minor differences), but the females are very distinct from one another. Romer gave a formal description to the fish known as sp. "Pandurini" in 1997, changing it to panduro so as to cause confusion. :-? :lol:

Behaviorally, they are also a bit different. A. panduro is a much more mellow fish than nijsseni. I've had female nijsseni kill males twice their size. It would also be better to keep two or three females in a long 20 with one male on the panduro. They are like most Apistos, harem keepers. Male has a large territory with a few females holding smaller ones around their preferred spawning sites within. Female Apistos often face off over territorial boundaries, but rarely get into actual fights. Give them caves that are a foot or so apart.

I've not kept baenschi, as the "Inca 50" came along when I was not in an Apisto keeping phase, so the price was a bit more than what I would pay. That's dropped to a more reasonable level, I'm just into other things these days. It has the colors of nijsseni and panduro, but also dorsal spikes like the Cockatoos. Maybe I'll clear a tank for them one of these days.
Thank you for all the info! Sadly, none of my lfs carry them. Ever. I'm looking more toward Haplochromis sp. dayglow/limax/red back scraper/ruby/tomato. Not sure if I can keep 1 male and 2 females of any of these in a 20g though

·
Registered
66 Posts
Holy **** I just realized my mistake, that's what I get for answering these things too early in the morning.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Contact apistodave on apistogramma.com he may have some ready to go he breeds and sells several different species and I'm sure he raises all 3 of those species.

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
For buying, selling, trading of fish including "Wanted" ads, consider placing an ad on our Trading Post section here on Cichlid-Forum. You'd be amazed who is watching for wanted ads on there!
Thanks for your support of our site. :thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.