Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Convict cichlids can vary greatly in their aesthetics. Some are 'drab', others are vibrantly black and white. Some have varying colors in their fins, that may or may not reach into the body. Some females have a bit of orange. Others are really vibrant.

Long story short, I am in love with convict cichlids, and I have kept so many. But I moved to the U.S. and had to get rid of all of my fish.

My hankering to keep a convict is coming back, specifically a nice female.

I want to ask if anyone know any breeders or any sellers whom I can contact for specific images of specimens they may have. Willing to pay bigger bucks of course. But yeah.

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Hmmmmmm.....
Amatitlania is a pretty big, Central American Cichlid genus. And all of those Cichlid species are pretty closely related. For example, Amatilania sp. 'Honduran Red Point' was once thought of as simply the Honduran Convict Cichlid by Jeff Rapps, Eddie Martin and some other folks. But, well.....
So, are you simply looking for interesting color morphs of this species? Or, maybe WC or F1 specimens for a strong start to your own breeding projects? And is Amatitlania nigrofasciatus, Black Convict Cichlid the 'Only One' you are seriously considering for keeping?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry I should have been clearer I suppose, yes I am only interested in the ‘true’ convict cichlid, i.e. Amatitlania nigrofasciata. No other species of the genus.

But yes, it is for a breeding project. Not necessarily have to be WC or F1 for me. Just something that stands out to me.

·
Super Moderator
40,901 Posts
What about researching fish show winners and track down the breeder? I know my favorite species won a best in show not too many years ago and I like to buy her stock.

Reactions: Auballagh

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Well.... alrighty then.

PM has been sent.

Reactions: Aussieman57

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What about researching fish show winners and track down the breeder? I know my favorite species won a best in show not too many years ago and I like to buy her stock.
Did not even know fish shows were a thing. XD Now I gotta find out more haha. Good idea, gonna see if any convict cichlids won fish shows anywhere.

Well.... alrighty then.

PM has been sent.
Danke!

·
Super Moderator
2,023 Posts
There are aquarium fish and cichlid clubs in the States so it might help to narrow it down depending on your location since you've moved back to the U.S.

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Sure!
'Bout time actually. Clubs like @DJRansome and @Deeda mention above are a fantastic way to source out some really nice, (sometimes super rare) fish of all kinds.
This is another proven way, as they say....
"TO GET THE GOOD STUFF."
-

A PM my good man, has been sent.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts