Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have kept Callochromis stappersi from this location and there are many other species in the hobby from it as well,but I have not found a map with Kashenge on it or info to where it is.It might be spelled differently in other languages possibly?

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Kashekezi ? between Uvira and Kadjoka.
Funny googling Kashenge I just find Tang cichlids for sale from this location and no map.

Sorry can not be of much help locating it for sure.

All the best James

·
Registered
219 Posts
There is a village of Kashenge (pop. around 1,900) in the Kagera region, which borders Lake Victoria, but not Lake Tanganyka. Kashenge is located near Katoma which is just west (inland) of Bukoba. I don't think there's any fish collecting going on there. I can't find it on a map, but I found a census document describing it. Maybe there is another place of the same name on lake Tanganyka which is also too small to be on a map.???

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
I think the people catching the fish have a desire to keep locations secret to avoid competition and this may play a role.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am really thinking now that Kashenge is Kashenke on the African Diving map or near it.I have a book that has a Callochromis stappersi Cherry Head caught at Katoba which on Google maps is just a little south of Kashenke.Another reason I believe this may be the collection point is that the O.nasuta Kashenge have yellow fins with a dark body shown in this photo

O.nasuta a little North at Kekese are similar with yellow fins but with a lighter body and the one south at Mpimbwe are said to be black by Airfish and African Diving.

It could be another location that gets confused from translation or like DJ said about collectors changing the location name.

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
oops wrong info edited out.

Can a mod get rid of this poste please? :oops:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts