Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tank is almost cycled and ready to stock up within the week! Stocking with peacocks and haps. Where do you buy your fish and why? LFS or online? Also, how many would you stock in a 125 gallon? Should I fully stock at once, or do 2 groups at a time?

·
Registered
656 Posts
I know there is at least one large aquarium or cichlid club in the chicago area. If you can get your stock from some of these local breeders, you will get better quality fish, at a much cheaper price than online or lfs.

·
Registered
656 Posts
also, it is usually recommended to stock all at once, but if you are splitting into 2 or more stockings it's better to start with the least aggressive, and work your way up to the most aggressive

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you know how I can find this cichlid club?

My LFS have told me they buy are their fish from the Chicago area, but would not say where.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I would also suggest looking at the trading post here on this forum. It can be limited to a state. Also Aquabid.com may lead you to some local dealers/growers who are selling. Even an ad on Craigslist will possible get you some contacts with local hobby sorts. As a person who is often suffering with borderline overstocked tanks, I can tell you that there are some really good bargains to be had from local folks whose fish breed them out of tanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.