Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was just wondering if any of you guys have bought any fish tanks online? looking for a 90 gallon and 110. *** bought my tanks before on c/l but cant seem to find any of those sizes. anybody recomend a good website to buy from?

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Not sure if you're Washington State or D.C.

I bought mine through local classifieds, but I live in a city of 4 million, so it's easy here.

A 125 costs $260 during a big sale, but mine was $250 in a private deal. Not an huge savings.

kevin

·
Registered
131 Posts
I purchased my 125g at my LFS. In our area, many of the LFS order from Royal Pet Supply. They have tank specials every few months. Got the 125g for $289 delivered to the store. Marineland with black silicone. Tri-State NY/NJ/PA area.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Craigslist and Kijiji can be a great place to find a tank, but it's always buyer beware in those situations. I got a great 125 gallon tank off of a similar site for a screaming deal and have since used Craigslist to trade that and the stand into a 55 and a 30 as they better suit my apartment.

If you don't want the worry, bother or care of ensuring you are purchasing a good tank then why not just go through a chain store where you know you can turn a defective tank in if you need to.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I buy Craigslist just before the end of the school year. Kids spend fortunes on tanks they can't move. I get the tank, stand, lights, and filters at the price of new tanks.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Nice strategy PfunMo :lol:

·
Registered
143 Posts
Petco does the $1 per gallon sale 2or 3x a year, the places listed above and from time to time a good moving sale will get you one cheep if they are pressed for time .....

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just bought straight from an aquarium builder, they normally don't sell direct but if you are offering to pay cash it can make their life much simpler

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
*** been searching c/l for a couple months now and havent seen any good deals in my area. alot of the people on c/l try to get 80% back for what they paid for it :lol: i was thinking that too of just finding a glass dealer or someone who builds them and give them cash.

i havent called yet, but do any of you guys know if petco or petsmart sell tanks as big as 90/110?
*** looked on there websites and only see 75 gal. guess i should call them and see.

·
Registered
82 Posts
craigslist

·
Registered
20 Posts
In the fishroom in order of purchase.

20g high w/stand, light, filter, pump from a newspaper want ad 20 years ago
55g w/stand, cover, light, filter, 4 pumps from eBay Aug 2010 $128
29g w/light, filter, pumps, gravel, decorations, pleco from Craigslist Sep 2010 $35
55g w/stand, filter, light, 2 pumps from Craigslist Oct 2010 $110
38g w/stand, cover, light, heater, filter, gravel, pump from Craigslist Nov 2010 $80
10g w/light, filter from Walmart Nov 2010 (needed tank for fry on short notice) $29
55g w/stand, light from Craigslist Dec 2010 $50
55g w/stand, light, filter, rocks, gravel from Craigslist Dec 2010 $50 (brace needed repair)
55g double stand from Craiglist Dec 2010 $25
100 watt heater with two pumps from Craigslist $12

I've never bought anything except fish stuff off Craigslist. Missed out on some really good deals over the last 3 months due to lack of space or money at the time.

Oh, and the PetCo $1.00 a gallon deal starts Jan 2nd through the 15th according to their website.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
i got a used tank from cl once, ended up with water on the floor, so i've been nervous ever since, I also have issues finding good deals, most of the time people try to sell their tanks for more than what a new one would cost

I just got a new 125 with stand, glass lids and 2 x 36" dual t5 light fixtures for $499 from my lfs, didn't think it was too bad a deal

1 - 14 of 14 Posts