Cichlid Fish Forum banner

What part of the world are your cichlids from?

• Lake Tanganyika

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Lake Malawi

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Lake Victoria

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Madagascar

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Asia

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mexico

• United States

• Central America

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • South America

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 13.3%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cichlidea family of fish is filled with such variety and is obviously a source of tremendous fascination. That's why this site, a resource that got me hooked into the hobby long before I ever kept a cichlid, is closing in on a 100,000 members.

Over the years I've tried keeping cichlids from a variety of locations but there are some regions that I'm definitely most drawn to. For me the Tanginyikan cichlids are fascinating for their unique shapes and interesting behaviour. Likewise, I love the big South American cichlids for the fact that they are seemingly friendly (almost interactive with the fishkeeper) and many varieties can be kept together in the same tank.

I'm curious which areas you have kept cichlids from during your time in the hobby. Is there an area that you've specialized in and, if so, why?

·
Registered
36 Posts
As a teen I kept South & Central American fish such as Oscars, Jack Dempsey, Piranha, etc. As an adult I've kept Discus & Angels, now this last year I'm keeping only Malawi & Tanganyika cichlids.

·
Super Moderator
40,480 Posts
Lake Malawi is my favorite but can't live without calvus and nyereri.

·
Super Moderator
1,837 Posts
I started with Lake Malawi and yellow labs with Venustus then briefly with one Aulonocara peacock species. I'm still waiting on the labs to pass on before utilizing their tank for something else.

I then fell in love with Lake Tanganyika shell dwellers and set up a bunch of species only tanks for the little guys & girls. I also have a 75G Altolamprologus compressiceps with Cyprichromis and some other Tangs and I think some West African I forgot to add to my poll answers.

I like the behavior of the various Tanganyikan cichlids and just find them more interesting.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have mostly new world cichlids. One day I impulsively purchased a tiny, tiny jewel because west african rivers have similar water parameters to central and south American bodies of water, but the Jewel is both faster growing and more aggressive than my new world cichlids. I"m making it work though. I wanted to own as many different types of cichlids as I could and so now I have five different kinds - Jewel, rainbow (2), Firemouth, convict and keyhole. The keyhole is an awesome little fish and from what I have learned about them they are "mostly" fine in community tanks.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Great topic. As a yute, my family always had goldfish, then later an oscar and a jack dempsey. So fish keeping came natural to me.

Back during my first fish life, I had something like 6 aquariums of various sizes with everything from oscars, red devils, clown knifes and alligator gars to arowanas, piranhas, pacus and even african snake heads, which I believe are banned now. At some point, I stumbled upon african cichlids and was instantly smitten with them. I whittled down all of my aquariums to one african one, but unwittingly introduced some type of pathogen and lost them all. Devastated, it took years before I got over that loss and started back up again last fall.

Anyway, I've always been drawn to the vibrant, "thick" yellows and electric blues of lake malawi, so that is where I roam.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts