Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
With Cichlids are special seemingly having nothing, and <vendor name removed> gone, where is the go to for decent priced Mbuna?

I live in eastern VA and the selection here stinks.

<vendor name removed>?

·
Super Moderator
40,901 Posts
Vendor names removed. Private message sent.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I would love ideas too, as I am about to stock my 55. I'm in Washington state, and my only choice around here is the mixed tank at the LFS. Occasionally, they bring in Bumblebees and Demasoni, and I don't want them.

I thought of LFD in Utah and TBC in Florida. There's a cichlid wholesaler in Oregon, but they don't sell to the public. Do to the weather, I don't know what to do.

Please message me ideas... I won't buy mixed, because I want 100% males of all different types.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have ordered from 4? Online vendors. Honestly, they all seem pretty similar. I was serious that the last group of fish I got came from eBay. I'd checked all the "normal" vendors I use, and everybody was out of Mainganos. Found some on eBay and ordered 5 for around $50 Shipped. He sent 6 and all survived, so very good stuff there.

It seems like you're on the right track though. A "Mixed mbuna" tank is generally full of hybrids or "resues" and you really don't have any idea what you're going to get. If the fish is pretty, and you like it, and you don't let it breed, mixed mbuna tanks are probably fine. Mixed fish can have unpredictable behavior.

100% males ordered from the interwebs is going to be REALLY expensive though. Factor in that a "Guaranteed Male" mbuna from a vendor who is willing to call it that is probably going to be around $25 in most cases. One site I looked at briefly was selling a 1.25 - 2 inch Super Red Top Swedish Hongi guaranteed male - $22.99... So anyway, I like mbuna groups...
And I bought "Breeding packs" from this same vendor. 6 fish with "1-2 guaranteed males and we'll try to get the rest females." I have at least two males for each group I did this for.

BUT! If you're in Washington State- it depends on where you are. If you can get down to Portland, There is a pretty good fish store on Hancock street. I'm saying it this way so you can google yourself, and I won't run afoul of the rules. This store has the largest selection of African Cichlids on the west coast, and I believe that they are the storefront outlet for the breeding and wholesale operation called "The Cichlid Exchange." If you're going to make this journey, I'd call ahead and have them pull some fishes for you - their website is not exactly what I would call "Up to date" or "Accurate"

·
Super Moderator
40,901 Posts
If everyone could post reviews on vendors they have used in "Cichlid-forum.com Content > Reviews" that would make the information to all and not just the people that read this post.

Reactions: SenorStrum

·
Super Moderator
2,022 Posts
If everyone could post reviews on vendors they have used in "Cichlid-forum.com Content > Reviews" that would make the information to all and not just the people that read this post.
We appear to have 'lost' the vendor reviews section when the forum migration occurred a few months ago unless I just can't find it.

·
Super Moderator
40,901 Posts
Two thirds of the way down the forum selections.
Product Rectangle Font Operating system Screenshot

·
Super Moderator
2,022 Posts
I see the Reviews section but it is only for products and not fish vendors/sellers/stores/online.

·
Registered
242 Posts
This is also what I see, I thought the site did away with vendor reviews (I thought keeping the review ban was a bit odd because of this)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you so much! SeniorStrum, the expensive part of guaranteed males is what made me ask! While a long drive to Portland, it's easily doable, so I will check them out!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Unfortunately, that store ONLY sells to stores... Thanks for the suggestion though.

·
Super Moderator
40,901 Posts
We will see if we can get the vendor reviews section restored.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts