Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had 4 for a couple of months now, they are 2+ inches in length. I'm beginning to think I have all females...

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you freeze my video at 0:25 you will see my wild Ndumbi. He still has not coloured up but I
have about 20 F1 fry from him in a small tank. He is just over two inches too.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Similis said:
If you freeze my video at 0:25 you will see my wild Ndumbi. He still has not coloured up but I
have about 20 F1 fry from him in a small tank. He is just over two inches too.
Nice tank. :thumb:

Yeah, it seems as if these guys can breed quite young. I can see a couple of distended egg tubes already... Maybe I'll get lucky and and find a holding female in the near future.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But really, anyone have experience with these guys? If one of mine is a male, will it color up at a certain size, or a certain age? Do males color up regardless, or do they need to be the alpha?

·
Registered
268 Posts
IME. The males is always a bluish colour with the females a drab grey brown.
They are also aggressive little buggers but I think I have my fish mix right and the Pulpicans and Trewavasse put him in his place.

I was amazed when I first stripped my female. The power in her jaws was amazing. More beak like
anything. I would say they are designed for eating small inverts and Aufwuchs.
Super little fish though.

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
eeztropheus said:
But really, anyone have experience with these guys? If one of mine is a male, will it color up at a certain size, or a certain age? Do males color up regardless, or do they need to be the alpha?
What other fish are in the tank?

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
eeztropheus said:
Mine colored up enough to know it was a male at around 1.25 inches. They did breed at around 1.75 inches. In the picture below, I thought the darker fish was a female but it turned out to be a sub-dominant male (he colored up a bit more later)

Kevin

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice picture!
Well, I'm just gonna hope that one of mine turns out to be a male and begins to color up in the future.

·
Registered
281 Posts
mine colored up about 2 inch, i had a pair but i have not seen the female for about a month now so i take it he killed her as he would never leave her alone.i think they are agressive fish.

·
Registered
268 Posts
My females are not even slightly blue. They are more grey than anything.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Do you know were I can get my hands on some of these guys with out spending an arm an a leg for delivery ?

breeders

juvie

fry

what ever is available ?

thanks !!!

ps. very,very serious :fish:

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
OTISJOEPRETTY said:
Do you know were I can get my hands on some of these guys with out spending an arm an a leg for delivery ?

breeders

juvie

fry

what ever is available ?

thanks !!!

ps. very,very serious :fish:
Try placing an ad in the trading post.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts