Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing a lot of reading lately on when and how to strip fish. I have a couple now that are holding and want to know when is it safe to strip the fry so that the mother will not be so emaciated, but yet the fry will be ok without being placed in a tumbler? Is there a "magic" number that I should use as a guide line on when to strip them? Been reading everything in between 14 to 21 days. Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
40,502 Posts
I do 18. If you do a poll you would probably get a spread. :lol:

·
Registered
256 Posts
You didn't mention which species you were going to strip. I've been doing day 17 for dems and 19 for labs (well, actually I may do the labs earlier if I'm already in there after the dems). But I will be trying some vics this week on day 12. I tried to strip a peacock last month on day 17, but they still had egg sacs and died, so I will try a few days later next time.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I guess it would be more for Demasoni, Labs, and Peacocks as that is what I currently have. But I am planning on expanding my tanks in the future with other breeds and think it would be a good idea for people to post the species they strip and when. While just starting out at this one can spend an inordinate amount of time just trying to find simple information like this would be nice info to know for the future.

I really appreciate the responses, I was gonna split the difference on the the 14 - 21 days and end up at right around 18 anyhow, but it nice to have some peace of mind hearing it from the ones that have done it before and know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I collect female on day 17- I have sponge filter in thattank that goes with her and water into 7g tank, usually with kitch plastic castles.
I've given up on stripping also- I've found that female has a chance to feed up for a few days and I've never had an issue with bad re-introductions so i like this method now-more so with new females that really do get stressed with the stripping process.
The older girls do take it in their stride a little better I find

1 - 9 of 9 Posts