Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I bought a group of 9 mosobo juvis a few months back. A few are starting to show blueish faces and bodies but haven't started battling (as far as I can see, maybe a few nipped fins). When should I remove extra males? Ideally I'd like them to fully color up and take the nicest but I don't want them to adversely affect the females in the tank, and I've noticed that I have a pair of yellow labs doing allot of "hiding in plain sight" which suggest to me that they are being stressed (not certain if from the mosobo but a possibly I think).

Any suggestion welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
823 Posts
Id wait, so long as theres not too much aggression. From my group of msobo, it took a long time for them to fully start coloring. I had only one start the transformation, and he took forever. At around 3 inches another that had no signs of being a male started to change and completed it before the original male. This male was larger in size and ended up way better looking. I got rid of the other msobo. The rest are females although I thought one was a male, as the top dorsal has some blue striping to it, but she has held, so i know for a fact its a female

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
The problem with selecting the nicest male is they will not all color up in one tank together.

If you have extra tanks, you can remove the first male to color up and wait for the second one.

And so on until all the males have revealed themselves. Then choose.

·
Registered
823 Posts
with mine, it was pretty apparent which was nicer. the 1st to color was much smaller, and had more black in his body. the 2nd was bigger and had a much nicer patch of blue throughout the body

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just did a search, and came across this discussion from a year ago. I have a similar situation. I have 2 male and 6 female msobo. I have had them for 3 months, and they are all around 3-3.5 inches I guess (I'm not good at judging through the water, and I haven't measured them). One male has been the clear dominant one since I put them in the tank, but it is funny since he is around 1/2 inch smaller than the sub-male. The sub-male starts to show some blue color when he goes to the opposite side of the tank sometimes, but once the dominant one sees him and goes after him, the sub turns back to a greyish yellow color for a while. My only hospital/QT tanks are just 10 gallons. Should I remove one of them and put him in a 10 gallon to see how he looks? I don't want to then get rid of the one in the main tank, and then have the other one attacked at re-entry. Should I just get rid of the sub-male now? Should I keep them both together as long as no damage is being done, based on the possibility that having some competition makes the dominant one color up better? Should I be waiting until they get to a specific size to make the determination?

Also, my dominant one looks just like the main pic from the profile page here, with a solid bottom half, except his upper half has very defined bars, rather than being blotchy. Is that normal? Thanks

·
Registered
238 Posts
If there in a large tank say 120g with a lot of structure it's nice to have males just incase one dies

·
Registered
51 Posts
It's a 75 gallon, and they share the tank with 2 other species of African cichlid and a batch of Syno cats. I do have a lot of high piled lacerock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.