Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've had fish in my tank now for about a month now and I'm working to get rid of some nitrite. I have 15 Malawi cichlids (majority are less than 1 inch in length) in a 60 gallon. I'm probably going to re-home a few because I think I'm over-stocked???

Water Parameters are:

0 ppm ammonia
roughly about .25 to .5 ppm Nitrite
less than 5 ppm Nitrate

I'm doing 25% water changes daily and doubling up on Prime. Adding more Stability with each water change. The Nitrite drops a bit after the wc, but then goes back to about .25 ppm the next day.

I'll continue to do daily water changes and move some fish out of the tank, but wondering at what point should I consider cleaning the canister filter? I know I don't want to get rid of beneficial bacteria so should I leave the filter alone or try to rinse the filter pads?

Thanks for the help. Great forum and very helpful for new keepers like myself.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Your tank is still cycling. Do not clean the canister until your nitrite drops to 0 and stays there for 7 days.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
Also, don't bother testing your water for nitrate when nitrite is present. It will give a false reading.

Daily water changes is the way to go in your situation. Kudos. Can't speak on the effectiveness of Stability myself, but hopefully it helps.

You are not overstocked with 1" fish. If you provide a stock list and tank dimensions some further advice can be given regarding fish.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Iggy Newcastle said:
Also, don't bother testing your water for nitrate when nitrite is present. It will give a false reading.

Daily water changes is the way to go in your situation. Kudos. Can't speak on the effectiveness of Stability myself, but hopefully it helps.

You are not overstocked with 1" fish. If you provide a stock list and tank dimensions some further advice can be given regarding fish.
Thanks for the info. Based on some other advice here I think I may need to make some changes, but here's my list:

Tank is 60 gallon. 48.5" Wide x 25" High x 12.75" Long

Fish:
One OB Peacock
Two German Red Paacocks
Two Borleyi (they're doing fine, but going to re-home one. Both are males)
One Taiwan Reef
three Socolofi (babies, < 1")
three yellow labs (babies, < 1")
One Damasoni
Two cats (synodontis)
two "Jakes" (yellow peacocks, blue face. Not sure)?

Other than the babies, fish are all similar in size. Between 1 and 2". The OB is about 3.5"

I've learned recently that mixing mbuna and auloncara is frowned upon by many keepers, but if they're peaceful and I do WC bi-weekly what are the odds for long term survival in this tank? I'm kind of attached to the ones I have now and would hate to get rid of any, but at the same time don't want to lose fish due to overcrowding or aggression. Already lost a damasoni, but wasn't aware of how aggressive they can be toward each other. The LFS where I got them had a tank full of males so figured I'd be ok adding two. Nope!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
timmcg1011 said:
Iggy Newcastle said:

Thanks for the info. Based on some other advice here I think I may need to make some changes, but here's my list:

Fish:
One OB Peacock
Two German Red Paacocks
One Taiwan Reef
One Damasoni
Two cats (synodontis)

Other than the babies, fish are all similar in size. Between 1 and 2". The OB is about 3.5"

I've learned recently that mixing mbuna and auloncara is frowned upon by many keepers, but if they're peaceful and I do WC bi-weekly what are the odds for long term survival in this tank? I'm kind of attached to the ones I have now and would hate to get rid of any, but at the same time don't want to lose fish due to overcrowding or aggression. Already lost a damasoni, but wasn't aware of how aggressive they can be toward each other. The LFS where I got them had a tank full of males so figured I'd be ok adding two. Nope!

Thanks again.
Additionally, I've learned that I should have done 1m: more females...But again, with what I have how critical is it that I make some changes?

·
Registered
449 Posts
timmcg1011 said:
timmcg1011 said:
Iggy Newcastle said:

Fish:
One OB Peacock
Two German Red Paacocks
One Taiwan Reef
One Damasoni
Two cats (synodontis)

Thanks again.
Additionally, I've learned that I should have done 1m: more females...But again, with what I have how critical is it that I make some changes?
The Mbuna will eventually pick on the peacocks once they start to mature. Demasoni do better with a bunch together than a couple; the more there are, the more the aggression will be spread around, but even then they can be a handful.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
timmcg1011 said:
with what I have how critical is it that I make some changes?
The species where you have two...one is just as likely to kill the other as your demasoni. You could wait to see what happens, but IMO you will continuously be on alert and acting to solve problems, and not have a chance to enjoy a stable aquarium.

It's not like the tank is doing well...you have the demasoni death as your first alert. Note that the demasoni could have died of bloat which can
sweep through the tank taking one fish/month.

Watch to ensure all fish eat every day at every feeding. Monitor the feces of each fish. If any fish is lurking under the surface or near heaters or filter intakes, that is a sign of aggression and you should act to prevent deaths and illnesses.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DJRansome said:
timmcg1011 said:
with what I have how critical is it that I make some changes?
The species where you have two...one is just as likely to kill the other as your demasoni. You could wait to see what happens, but IMO you will continuously be on alert and acting to solve problems, and not have a chance to enjoy a stable aquarium.

It's not like the tank is doing well...you have the demasoni death as your first alert. Note that the demasoni could have died of bloat which can
sweep through the tank taking one fish/month.

Watch to ensure all fish eat every day at every feeding. Monitor the feces of each fish. If any fish is lurking under the surface or near heaters or filter intakes, that is a sign of aggression and you should act to prevent deaths and illnesses.
No lurking. Every fish is eating really well with the exception of the remaining Demasoni. Still working on my Nitrites doing daily WC, but other fish don't appear to be stressed at all yet. I have one male Borleyi bully and so I'll monitor for another couple weeks. I'm re-homing my other male Borleyi this weekend. Hopefully that makes a difference.

I thought that bloat was caused by poor diet, which I suppose can be from parasites in the food, but how else would bloat take down a tank? Through their feces? So far no white stringy feces. Everything there looks normal. I spend at least a couple of hours a day just monitoring the tank so if something looks suspicious I'll definitely see it.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
No it is not caused by poor diet...in general. IME it is caused by a lowered immune system which happens when fish feel harassed.

I'd get the other demasoni out of the tank. He could be fish #2 with bloat issues. No thready, fine, white or clear feces on the 2nd demasoni? You can confirm the feces are thick and food colored on this fish?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DJRansome said:
No it is not caused by poor diet...in general. IME it is caused by a lowered immune system which happens when fish feel harassed.

I'd get the other demasoni out of the tank. He could be fish #2 with bloat issues. No thready, fine, white or clear feces on the 2nd demasoni? You can confirm the feces are thick and food colored on this fish?
Yes, feces are reddish, brown. And yes, he's going back tomorrow...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Happy to say that I finally have 0 ppm Nitrite! Fish look great and they'll actually all eat out of my hand now too. Really enjoying them. Thanks for all the help guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts