Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody!

I am so close to getting my dream tank set up, but could use some wisdom from those more experienced with these fish.
This will be a standard 75G (US) tank, and the stocking will be:

5 A. Calvus (to form a pair/harem)
5 J. Marksmithi (to form a pair)
3-5 L. Stappersi
1 BN Pleco
12 cyps (non jumbo) most likely utinta

As far as setting up the tank itself, I've just finished siliconing the BG in, and am just about ready to get everything up/running/cycled.

I already have the shellies and BN in a 29G tank (have had them for about 4 years now), and just received my Julies and Calvus (all about 2"), and have placed them in a separate 29G tank temporarily.

What I'm wondering is when should I add the cyps? I don't have another tank long enough to QT them, so would it be best to add the cyps by themselves to the 75G for them to get situated and ensure they're not ill?
Would it be better to add all the fish at the same time so that they can properly establish territories? Or would it be better to add the cyps after the rock dwellers/shellies have been in there a while to ensure the tank is "mature" enough?

As far as filtration/cycling goes, I will be running an Eheim 2217 on the 75G initially to get it setup and cycled. Once I move over the rock dwellers/shellies I'll be adding a Marineland 350 Biowheel HOB which is currently on the Julie/calvus 29G. If I were to add all the fish at the same time, or "QT" the cyps and add the others after, I shouldn't have any issues of triggering a mini-cycle, but I would be worried that if I added the cyps last, the addition of 12 fish at the same time could prove to be too much for the filtration.

I've read a few horror stories of cyps not traveling/acclimating well to new tanks so I want to make sure I give them the best chance of survival. I have a feeling this will all come down to personal preference, but I would love to hear what you all have to say.
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I'd add the cyps to the new tank alone and quarantine. Not because they are delicate...but because they are not quarantined.

Otherwise I would add all the fish at once.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I'be been leaning towards since I've already invested a lot in my current fish stock and don't want to rush losing them all.

Would it stress out the cyps and/or create territory issues adding the other fish later?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Stress them? Maybe, but it would also stress them to be added to the group now.

Territory issues? No...because the cyps like the top. The ones claiming territory on the bottom will be added all at once.

Be sure to leave the cyps lots of open substrate for sleeping and some high ledges or shelter for during the day.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perfect! I'll plan on QTing them in the 75G, then.

As far as set up, I've built a partial DIY 3D background with foam and Drylok specifically so that the cyps could have ledges along the back wall and in the upper portions of the tank. I also plan on having two rock piles (one in each back corner) with the shells in the center front and a lot of sand between each "territory."

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
So it sounds like you have a 29 gallon tank well established. Put half of that media in your new tank and add some fish. Don't cycle the new tank from scratch. Too time consuming and too much that can go wrong.

I have had cyps twice in my life including right now. I never kept them with the fish you are planning so cannot comment - but they do stay more to the top. I agree with DJRansome in his assessment.

Both times I got my cyps flown in from a well known importer/fish guy a couple hours by air east of me. I did not quarantine and had no problems. Not telling you don't quarantine because I do not know your new fishes history. Just saying that I did not and all was well.

I have kept tropheus, frontosas, foai, and few other finicky fish with no problems but I must say cyps have been a little iffy for me. I lose more fry than with other species and the odd mysterious wasting away of an adult here and there but I enjoy them a lot.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's good to hear! I will probably see how the cyps look when they arrive (I plan on ordering from a fairly reputable seller) and decide at that time if they should be quarantined. I may not be patient enough to wait and add them all.

I did plan on "seeding" the Eheim on the new tank from media in my existing tanks, but wasn't sure if that would be enough for 12 fish at once without causing a mini-cycle.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
How many fish are in the existing tanks? What percent of media will you take from each existing tank?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would probably pull from my 2 29Gs, one currently has 5 Julies and 5 calvus (all about 2-2.5"), the other has 5 l. Stappersi shellies (about 1.75-2") and a BN pleco (4"). I would most likely pull about half of the media from the Shelly tank, and a third of the media from the Julie/calvus tank to seed the canister.
Once I'm ready to add everybody to the tank, all of the media from both 29Gs will be going into the HOB (which is currently on the Julie/calvus tank.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I'm not that will support 12 cyps, but you could try.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts