Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just before we got our 125 up and running our 7" Common Pleco got himself wedged where he didn't fit and died. I'm pretty fond of the commons and have always had really good success with how well they eat algea, so since I rarely find bristlenoses/synos/etc in the LFS's (for a price my wallet can withstand), I picked up a couple more and have them in the 40B with my Acei/Estherae fry (about 1.5" now).

I'm currently trying to decide when to risk adding them to the main tank. The last one was in the 55 with dems, estherae, and labs but he started out over 5" so was always bigger than the mbuna, by far. These new little guys are about 3" long and my biggest acei is closer to 5" and very active in his tank boss status. Not to mention the two larger albinos that are constantly picking fights with the dems/estherae. My old "pleco-man" was a feisty little bugger and took care of himself quite well from what I could see, but I'm concerned about these little guys and how well they would stand up to the mbuna. The reason I'm even considering adding them at all, is many people have bristlenoses with much success and they're probably the same size as my commons right now, maybe a touch bigger.

(PS: There's massive amounts of algae in the main tank- Almost daily I exchange a rock or two to the 40 for the plecos to clean off- which happens in only a few hours, if that. They already keep the 40 pretty clean of any algae, they make sure the vals in that tank are sparkling as well)

So what think you? Risk it, or wait a few more months?

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
look i hate to harp on this right but...

you just said a tank with "dems, estherae, and labs" and then a fry tank "Acei/Estherae fry "

you relize that labs and zebras hybridize like crazy right? i wouldnt say anything but your keeping the fry...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OLD TANK (55gal) had labs/estherae

NEW TANK (125gal) no labs

GROW-OUT TANK (40 gal) acei- known pure, estherae- known pure

Stick to the point at hand please and be sure to read the post (if not my sig) carefully for current, pertinent information.

Thanks!

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have 3 BNs that I move between three tanks regularly. The 125 has adult Mbuna in it, the 55 is a grow out tank for Labs, Afra and Elongatus and the 30 gal is for new fry. The smallest is probably right at 3 inches and my adults don't seem to bother him at all. I just wait til about an hour after lights out and add the BNs.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks QHgal, that was the kind of anecdotal info I was looking for. I wonder if there is a difference between to the BN's personalities/ability to defend themselves that would make a difference.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Here's what I did...

I started out with a 55 mbuna tank and added a BN there. My BN didn't take any nonsense from any of the other fish. If they tried to go at my BN she'd turn around and go at them but wouldn't chase them. After they tried to get her twice and she countered they didn't try it again. That personality quickly won me over and she is now my favorite fish :)

This weekend I switched her in my other 55 tank, not because of aggression but because she wasn't getting enough to eat! My labs and Acei's love algae and would pick it off the rocks before she even got to it. She's now in a community tank and putting some much needed weight back on her.

It's weird, I didn't expect a pleco to be my favorite fish but I love it that she'll defend herself against a mbuna that is at least twice her size but won't attack or chase after em.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts