Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to stop spending so much time using buckets to change out my water. I went to lowe's and got a hookup to my faucet, so that I could just fill up the tank. It sounds easy - turn on the faucet, water goes through the hose, into the aquarium.

The problem I run into is this: My water is going to have chlorine in it WHEN it enters the tank. Will this be harmful to the fish? What if I were to add chlorine right after I filled it up? Would two minutes of being exposed to chlorine kill off my bacteria and fish?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
While the tub idea is great, it adds unnecessary work and expense when you can safely do it by adding the dechlor first. That is how everyone who uses a python does it.

I have done it this way for years with shrimp, and other very sensitive species and had no problems.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I add prime before I put the new water in.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Im with dogofwar *** done it before during and after...usually i go during when i use my python and *** never had any adverse effects.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I fill my tanks out of the tap with out any water treatment...I do use a drinking water filter. I have used this method for years with out any problems. I get a good quality filter that will remove chlorine and heavy metals. The filters last for about a year. I also used a drinking water filter in a 200 gallon tank that was on a drip system, it got about 10 gallons a day. The less chemicals the better.
All water treatments have some negative side effects. For example Prime which is one of the better water treatments raises the phosphate level quit a bit. I my area where the tap water already has phosphates in it Prime just adds to the algae problem.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have always added my conditioner in the bucket method. I have always been too paranoid to try doing it during or afterwards...It is cheaper doing it that way, so I don't have to add the full 70 gallons worth of dechlorinater.

But since you are switching away from using buckets...I would do it WHILE adding the new water.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts