Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, just noticed a few days ago that my female maingano is not eating as has a distended jaw, so im assuming she is holding young? Is she holding eggs or are they fry?

I dont want to keep the young in my tank as they will soon become food so i was looking at removing her, but im not sure when is best to do it, can anyone help?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Are you planning to move the mom and let her spit naturally into a fry tank or strip the mom? If letting her spit naturally, you can move her anywhere from 7-20 days post fertilization. If stripping, right around day 18 is good.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what are the consequences of moving her to another tank too early? i dont want to strip her, i was going to use one of those floating net things just to keep her seperate, is she holding eggs or are they actually babies?

·
Registered
623 Posts
only way to see if shes holding fry is to wait and see if she lets any out. I would assume since you just noticed a few days ago that theyre eggs shes holding as of right now.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How long does it take for the eggs to become fry? She wont eat anything, just sits in the same place all day and also seems to have dark speckles under her chin. Also how many young do they normally have? Im not 100% sure she is a maingano perhaps she is an EB johanni but i cant tell.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Unless she's yellow, she's a Maingano (Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos).
Fry are typically free swimming around day 18 and it's normal for her to not eat.
You may want to read some articles concerning breeding.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
she is the same blue/black colour as the males just not as strong and abit more pale. I have a breeding net, will she be ok in there after about 14 days of holding?

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
I've tried putting a holding female in a breeding net before and she seemed pretty stressed out in my 6"x4"x4" breeding net. So I went out and bought a 10 gallon tank. I think most breeding nets sold are designed for smaller tropical fish like tetras - not so much for an adult cichlid. They do work pretty well for free-swimming small fry, though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts