Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 42 gallon tank, 2 yellow labs, 2 red zebra's , 4 electric blues, 2 Socolofii and 1 snow white Socolofi. They all seem to get along well and I am not concerned about cross breeding as I have no intention of selling them. When I got them they all were about the same size 1" or so, but the Red Zebra's and Electric Blues have really grown alot and are now about 3" long. I have had them about 4 months. As a side note these are all replacement fish as I had a heater thermostat stick and cook my first stock of fish. Unfortunately for them I learned my lesson too late and now have a thermometer with a warning sound if the water gets too cold or too hot.
My question is, what age will I notice spawning and what is the early signs so I can watch this phenomenon? My water parameters are perfect, I do regular water changes and have experienced all this hobby has to offer except the wonder of seeing new fry swim around the tank. Again, it may sound morbid but I do not care if the fry become fish food for the non paternal tank mates, I just wish to see the reproduction process and if possible see a few reach adulthood.
Thanks,
:D

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
You should probably get at least a 55g. tank for the stock list you have. I got my fish at about an inch, maybe a little longer, and it was about a year before they started breeding. It took my fish a few times of breeding and holding before they started successfully having fry too.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Agree with Dewdrop. Also you need additional females as Malawi are harem breeders, they do not pair. Since you have 4 species and one of them is Fryeri, I'd go for a 75G.

·
Registered
97 Posts
dont quote me on this but i remember reading somewhere that if you do a large water change and fill up with cooler water it mimics a rain storm coming and they spawn

unless it was by accident, i have done this twice and about a week after i had a fish holding

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
In trying to keep them as "pairs", you will likely wind up with dead females rather than actual breeding.

The yellow labs and red zebras will also crossbreed, so it's not advisable to keep them together.

If this tank size is your only option, I would get rid of everything except the Yellow labs, then add 2 or 3 of them and a group of dwarf mbuna, such as demasoni (10-12 of those).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts