Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed one of the smaller wild Blue Spot Zambian gobies was holding for like a week or so. I don't think she's holding anymore but one of the larger ones is holding now and has been holding for about 6 days. I currently have him in a breeder net because he was up in the corner of the tank trying to hide. How long should I wait before trying to remove fry and has anyone done this before? I don't think it would be like stripping cyps would it? I found videos posted in this forum for stripping cyps and paracyps that were very useful. I think they were made by Triscuit. Is there any video for stripping gobies? Thanks

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
same as cyps, only alot easier. Bigger mouth and jaw so its easy to get it open.

I usually strip and tumble as soon as I see the male has the eggs. The longer you wait, the more developed the fry will be, but the less you will end up with (for the most part)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
frank1rizzo said:
same as cyps, only alot easier. Bigger mouth and jaw so its easy to get it open.

I usually strip and tumble as soon as I see the male has the eggs. The longer you wait, the more developed the fry will be, but the less you will end up with (for the most part)
Thanks, It looks like I may have waited to long already.

·
Registered
56 Posts
John,

I would strip the goby about 4-5 days after the Males takes the eggs. They will usually have a little egg sack left at that point but would not need to be tumbled. If you wait too long, the male will just eat the fry.

Nick

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Hey- nice vid links! :wink:

I wait to strip gobies until the fry are full term, usually 17-21 days. I haven't managed a goby stripping video yet because they often spit as soon as you have them in a net. Make sure to have a bucket ready and use a net with a fine mesh (no big holes).

Gobies have large mouths, so stripping is much easier than for cyps, paracyps, or mbuna.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everybody, I went ahead and stripped him. I got 11 small fully developed fry, no yolk sacks. I'm not sure I got them all, though. What to you usually use to get his mouth open? Is 11 fry typical or is that a small amount? triscuit, that 17-21 days includes the time the female is holding too, correct?

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
jh82 said:
Thanks everybody, I went ahead and stripped him. I got 11 small fully developed fry, no yolk sacks. I'm not sure I got them all, though. What to you usually use to get his mouth open? Is 11 fry typical or is that a small amount? triscuit, that 17-21 days includes the time the female is holding too, correct?
For a first breed that sounds fantastic. Hate to say it but without stripping and popping the male in a tank with lots of cover I get at best 6-8 per brood.

Kind of not a good gobie breeder as I hate stripping esp small cichlids. :oops: :)
My males release at 21-28 days female plus male holding (exchange comming anywhere between 9-12 days) so yep about 20 days total seems a good time to strip for em if you are good at this stuff.

All the best James

·
Registered
112 Posts
So I gather best time is 5 days once the male has the eggs?

I've got one Eretmodus Cyanostictus Mpimbwe holding, it's been 3 days so far
I assume it's the female holding

Just need to wait I guess :D

Here's a picture just for fun

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
11 is a normal number for a brood- I've seen up to 23, but that was an unusual spawn. I had a trio once where both females spawned within a few days of eachother, and when I stripped the male I found 42 fry. :eek: However, they were much smaller and less developed than usual spawns.

When to strip is a case by case decision. I have seen no evidence that you would get fewer fry by waiting until they are full term (egg sac absorbed). I believe that dad's mouth is the best egg tumbler you can buy, and I know that my highest survival rates come from stripping full term fry from males. Typically, that's at least 10 days after the transfer.

In the 6 years I've been breeding E. cyanostictus, I've had a grand total of 4 fry (out of hundreds) survive in a tank with adults. If I could get 6-8 fry from not stripping, I'd be happy to let the dads spit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts