Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just moved some fish from one tank to another....and ****, these guys are hard to catch. I didn't even bother trying without removing all the rocks first and they were still a ***************. So that got me to thinking:

What are your hardest and easiest mbuna to catch?

While mine are all still juveniles, I've noticed
The hardest: Demansoni and White Tail Acei (My Acei is pretty smart, while the Demansoni is just fast)

easiest: Yellow Lab (Not so smart)

Haha, so how about yours?

·
Registered
625 Posts
I had a female auratus that I had to get rid of that took me forever to catch. Took out the better part of 100lb of rock and still took a good 10-20 minutes.

My Green Texas was a challenge as well but that was because I wanted to not completely tear up my tank to catch. We established a chase route he followed several times then I put a cut in half 2 liter bottle in his way then tried my best to cover it.

For ratio purposes I think I will put new fish into bare bottom tanks until they are big enough to reliably vent then add them to the main tank while taking extra males back. That might be easier!

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
In addition to removing the rocks I drain the tank so there is only 6-8 inches of water and use a divider to corral the one(s) I want into smaller areas as I go.

My fish don't sleep on the substrate and if one did, I would not be able to tell if it was the right one since they look so similar.

I also find holding the two nets very still until everyone calms down and then moving the nets glacier-slow works best. I had 20 cyps (very skittish) moved from a 125G to a 20G and back the other day pretty quickly with this method. There was an impostor in the group and I had to ID him and get him out.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The hardest fish to catch?
Easy - the one I'm chasing with my net at that moment.

:lol:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Nina_b said:
The hardest fish to catch?
Easy - the one I'm chasing with my net at that moment.

:lol:
Pretty much!!
For me, Demasoni, Cyno 'Cobue. Ps. Williamsi : superfast for a 4.5" fish!!

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
You know, you never know. I've had some guys I swept in real quick and snatched up first try while they were hanging out at the top of the tank. Then there are those guys that make it personal and make you tear down, drain, and section off the tank. I've tried the catch them while they are sleeping tactic, but it never works. I can't see who I'm trying to catch and are usually already hiding, even if lethargic.

My c. chrysonotus were super fast and really hard to catch. My victorians are also pretty quick little buggers.

·
Registered
587 Posts
My female borleyi red fin took a very long time to catch. I had to get another set of hands to help. Keep in mind I only owned one net at the time.

I've since learned to use two nets. A large net held steady while the other hand with a much smaller net used to direct the fish into the large one. Another method I use is trapping the fish using the net against the glass.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I bought a giant net that's over a foot wide. I put that guy up against a wall and corral the fish I want into it with a smaller net. For the most part, slower movements work best. Mbuna are fast as **** when they're spooked.

The hardest fish I've had to catch was actually from the "other" lake. Leleupi are not only fast and narrow, but they hug and dart into rocks and crevices like no other.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts