Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4' shop light I bought from Menards maybe a little over a year ago. I had two 32w 6500k bulbs in it up until yesterday. Yesterday, I replaced a 6500k with a Reef Sun 50/50 (32w). Today, I was back at Menards and saw they had a 2-pack of 32w 8000k bulbs for $6.97, so of course I bought them.

I got home, turned the lights off, pulled the canopy off, and swapped out the remaining 6500k with one of the 8000k bulbs. Now the darn thing doesn't turn on. I pulled the new 8000k out, put in the old 6500k and still nothing. So I pull out the 50/50, and get both 6500k bulbs in. Nothing. :x

When I put my ear next to the pull chain (which I don't use - my lights are hooked up to a Super Switch remote), I can hear a slight hum so I know the fixture is getting power, but none of the bulbs are firing.

Now, I know next to nothing about light fixtures, even the cheapo shop lights - so I'm stumped.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
When I was using the "shop light" for my tank I had a similar problem. Turned out the be that the end that the bulb clipped into had too much play or were loose so I had to wedge a piece of folded up cardboard in between the end of the canopy and that peice the bulb rotates into. (if that makes sense) Just try putting in a bulb and then push them peices in so they make more contact to the pins on the bulb.

Sorry if that make no sense at all. :p

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It makes sense, but wouldn't work for my set-up. My light fits nice and tight inside my canopy, I actually have to carve a notch out of the canopy for the power cord that comes out of the side of the light. I can lift the canopy and the compression keeps the light in place.

Anyways... while I was working on another project, I left the lights sit unplugged for about 30 minutes. I plugged them into a different outlet without the Super Switch and they came back on. I put the 8000k and 50/50 bulbs in... and it came on. So now I'm happy.

This lighting combination is B-E-A-utiful!

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
When electronics don't work in situations like described it often is a matter of not making contact somewhere. Standard problem when replacing tubes is there is a bit of corrosion, grease or dirt on the end contacts. It is a good habit to put the bulb in and then kind of "wiggle" it a bit so that any of this stuff gets scraped clean. When you are working in an office and changing out 20 or so bulbs, saving a trip up and down the ladder will make you appreciate a few time savers!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts