Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm fairly new to keeping cichlids (6 months) and brand new to this forum. I have a pseudo-tropheus yellow tail and I've noticed this bright round yellow spot at the end of his anal fin before the caudal fin. Maybe I'm using the wrong words, excuse me. I tried to snap a photo but he's a fast mover. Is this an illness or a natural thing? None of my other fish have anything like this.

I have a 75 gallon tank with a mixture of Africans.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh my god, is this an egg spot? Do I have to watch all the other fish to see if anyone is holding? How will I know?? I am obsessed with these fish and they seem so much more complicated than even my saltwater tank.

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
Welcome to C-F!!

Yes that yellow spot is called an egg spot and is common on many Lake Malawi cichlids. Check out some of the articles in the Cichlid Library but https://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/introduction_list.php will get you started on some of the basics.

Do you know all the names or species of the fish you currently have? If not, post some pics of the fish if you want and we may be able to help identify them.

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
The egg spot(s) don't mean anyone is holding, just a marking on the fish young/old and male/female.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts