Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
iv got two jevi cichlids that were spit out by a female electric blue female. i was told that she would steal the fry out of other cichlids mouths and become there suragent mothers. as soon as i introduced her to my tank she spit them out and now they have some color i desided to see what the experts think. they team up and run my 9in EB male around the tank too. there hateful as all get out.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Wait, did she breed in the tank? Or did you get her when she was holding?

Cichlids won't intentionally take another species eggs to raise as their own - it's usually that another fish tricks them into it; however, that's more common with catfish and not other cichlids. Especially not peacocks, which is what those fry are.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
iv read it about catfish but yeah she had them in her mouth from the other tank. the guy i got her from had a few peacocks. i think there really pritty fish and plan on keeping them just didnt know if they where peacock/Eblue mix. i just started caring about what kinda cichlids i have in my tank. for the most part i just had cheap petstore cichlids and now im weeding them out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no the female EBlue was from a guy that was breaking his tank down befor he deployed. but her and there two lil red peacocks where from his tank

·
Registered
158 Posts
Looks like German reds. I think the guy you got them from may have bought from a place with hormone fish. Those things are to small to start showing color already. How they ended up in the other females mouth is a good guess because I only heard of catfish that do that. Maybe the two females got distorbed and spit the eggs out and when they picked them up frantically some eggs got swapped. Just a guess.

·
Registered
158 Posts
[/quote]They're likely hybrids. Either that or there was an orgy in the previous owner's tank

:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They're likely hybrids. Either that or there was an orgy in the previous owner's tank

yeah now i want my tank to become the shag/spon pad. lol and yeah i was thinking they were to small to look so colorful. im thinking about keeping them and my E Blues. then i want to buy like 8 females. anyone want to know where i can buy a 8 or more females, i keep finding young fish for sale and there not garenteed females. i want females ready to lay some eggs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts