Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background/application: I am about to build a sump for my tank. Since the bottom of the tank is not drilled for overflows I need to go up and over the rim to supply and return water to the display tank.

What is the supply device called so that I can research how to build one? I can't figure out in my head how to design something that doesn't lose it's prime in the inevitable event of a power outage.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I believe it's call an overflow box if I am following you correctly.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're the man Joel. That's exactly what I was looking for. Pretty ingenious design.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Just so everyone is clear, that is not mine and I just found it as a visual aid to help. :D

I have an overflow box on my 75 and it does really well in power outages and never loses a prime. Since you're building a sump, make sure to give it enough volume that it won't flood in the even of an outage. That happened once because my dad though the siphon break on my return nozzle (the opening drilled to ensure it won't siphon when the return pump cuts out) was a crack and taped it up. Power goes out, mom stops the siphon (I was away at school), and it's still filling up, they lost close to 10 gallons before they figured it out. Thank god I keep it in the unfinished side of the basement.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Your overflow needs to supply more water than your pump returns or at least the same. If not the tank will overflow given enough water or your pump will run dry if not. The sump should be balanced because the overflow will only discharge the extra water that is put in the tank from the return.

Check out the CS (Continuous Siphon) overflows made by CPR aquatics for some ideas about how all this works. I have CS102 on my 125G and a smaller pipe system on my 55G Mbuna tank. The smaller one is a U pipe overflow with a catch box in the tank and a catch box on the back of the tank. It doesn't lose prime when I turn off the system. The CS models are a modular unit you can't get into and they have a port at the top similar to that diagram JoelRHale did for a small suction pump to keep or establish the siphon. The Tom Aquatics aqua lifter is the pump used and it will pump out air or water from the small port. You can look at about all of this stuff on the CPR site or any of the online supply houses. CPR also has a video showing how to set up their overflow that might give you some ideas.

Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.