Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a 6x2 tank that has been set up for over 12 months. I have numerous African Cichlids in it and I have never had any problems with them untill now. The tank contains -

#Yellow Labs
#Venustus
#Johani
#electric Blue
#Haplochromis
#Auratus
#Red Jewels
#and a few others but i cant remmember there names at the moment.

I do regular water changes and the fish always seem to be happy and the jewels and the yellows breed constantly.

Over the past few days the tank has gotten a very bad smell but it doesnt smell like a dirty fish tank. Infact it doesnt smell fishy at all and the smell is hard to describe. I have done a 50% water change and cleaned the filter and changed the media. Then 2 days later I did a 25% water change but the smell is still the same.

Last night my big male yellow lab managed to jump of of the corner of the tank and he landed on the cover glass. I put him back in and all was ok but then tonight he managed to jump out of the corner on the other side of the tank. This time he landed on the floor so I put him back in but he looked like he was swimming blind because he was just crashing straight into everything. Why does he keep wanting to jump out?

Whats goin on with my tank??? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
What are the water parameters on the tank?

What is your normal tank maintenance routine?

Do you have adequate filtration on the tank?

It would be great to get a full stock list, along with sizes. (Just wondering if aggression has anything to do with the Yellow lab's behaviour, since the fish would be maturing if they were juveniles when you got them a year ago.) Is this an all male tank? Or are you trying for an all male tank.

Does it smell like rotten eggs? Did you stir up the substrate recently? What kind of substrate do you have?

Are all your fish accounted for?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will check the water parameters asap.

Normal routine is about a 40% water change every 2 weeks and I vacume the bottom once a week.

Filtration is about 1000 litres or 220 gallons per hour but I dont think it is quiet good enough and im thinking of getting the FX-5.

There is roughly 25 fish in the tank half of which would be juvenile yellow labs from 2cm upto 5cm. The biggest is the Venustus at about 18cm and the rest are between 9cm and 18cm.

The tank is a mix of male and female although I think most are male apart from a Red Jewel and a couple of yellows.

The male lab that has tried to commit suicide twice has always been able to stand his ground with other more aggressive fish or managed to stay out of there way and he is very dominent with all the other yellows. He seems very stressed and possibly blinded as he swims straight into the glass at full speed.

The substrate is sand or lime sand to be exact and the tank has alot of rocks in it.

All of my main fish are accounted for but I never know how many babies are in there coz they just seem to pop up and then some get eaten along the way.

As for the smell it could be a bit like a cross between rotten eggs and b.o.
Heres a few blury pics of the tank setup to show u what its like

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It sounds like you might need to up the frequency of your water changes, especially so until you get more filtration on the tank.

You might also try cutting back on your feeding amounts until you get more filtration.

As for the yellow lab, it sounds like something is definitely wrong. Is he still swimming as if he's blind? Or does that seem to have resolved? I've had something similar to what you are describing happen with EBJD's in the past...It almost seemed like some sort of neurological problem, the way the fish acted...All twitchy and erratic swimming behaviour...

Let's get those water parameters and take it from there...

With the odour being as strong as it is, I think some water changes are going to be in order.

You didn't say whether the substrate had been disturbed or not, so I'm assuming it hasn't.

Any drastic temperature/humidity changes in your area since the odour started?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I have found the nitrate level to be very high but here is the water test results

PH: 7.3
Nitrate: 80-160
Ammonia: 0-25
Nitrite: 0

I suppose more water changes are in order and an upgrade of the filter???

What filters would u suggest for a 6x2 tank? I was looking at the Fluval FX5 but im also considering a sump filter so what is your thoughts? I will do a search of the site and read up about it aswell but im interested in your opinins.

Thanks cichlidaholic for your help so far :thumb:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts