Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please share what makes your tank "green" or how you limit your tanks footprint?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I went with LED lighting. Still building the canopy to hold them, so they're just sitting on the glass right now... Also have them on a timer so they turn off and on on their own (in case I forget).

·
Registered
361 Posts
I usually only have my lights on for a short time when I want to watch the tank. I also have a window planter that is plumbed to sit on top of my canopy filled with Pothos plants that help with nitrate reduction to reduce the frequency of larger water changes. I also use any water I get from water changes to give the lawn a little boost.

The fish, I suppose, you could also say are "green." I only buy fish that I can obtain locally.

Unfortunately, I still see a lot of green when I pay my electric bill. :x

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
The most Greewn thing about fish is the amount of time I spend with them and not on the computer or TV. Either of those eat up in hours what the fish take in days.

·
Registered
48 Posts
When buying anything electric I carefully scrutinize the amperage draw as a major consideration in purchasing said item. I am not tempted to "over" filter my tank by keeping stocking at moderate levels. H2O from WCs is used for house plants or exterior landscape. Minimize amount of time tank lights are on.
Good post/question

·
Registered
625 Posts
At the moment, very little.

65w lights and I only run them for 5 hours a day. WC water for garden water.

But I'm sure it is outdone by the complete wet/dry, canister, 300w heater, and 10 gallon hospital tank with heater, HoB, and sponge filter.

Something doesn't sound "green" about 2 power strips so full there are outlet splitters on some outlets.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Reduced my lighting period,

invested in glass tops for all of my tanks to cut down on heat loss from the tanks

Decided not to over filter

·
Registered
174 Posts
LED lighting...but thats about it. We recycle a lot, and I would agree I spend about as much time looking at my tank as I do online like the above said so there's that....

Also some rare/semi-endangered fish in my 100 gal...

I'd say every fish tank is inadvertently green in many ways...simply for the fact that it promotes enjoying wildlife and if you follow some guidelines...promotes ethical, nature-friendly, US-bred ( or not wild caught) and sustainable fish raising...nothing wrong with wild caught..but for some fish wild-catching just adds to the strain on an already strained wild population.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Just my plants and algae. I try to keep things as natural as possible, but I don't worry about the cost of filtering or lighting or whatever it takes to keep a tank healthy. It is not a cheap hobby by any means.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I never calculated it out but really how much does a filter/heater cost to run for the year it cant be thaaaat much compared to everything else we use. And no this is NOT a cheap hobby pretty sure I spend more on fish and related expenses than on any other hobby I have ever had

1 - 12 of 12 Posts