Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading the broad spectrum of posts, it reminds me what is great about our hobby. I started in it with about 15 years keeping and breeding New World cichlids, then swung over to Mbuna when the Malawi mouthbrooder started becoming available. Now I am totally enjoying my Tangs.

It isn't all about color, shape or size of our fish. I have enjoyed everything I have kept (with the exception of a very, very nasty Tilapia mariae I almost shot in its tank). But I really enjoy the breeding antics of substrate spawners.

There is something for everyone. I still would like a mini-lake for some of the South American cichlids, and a 12 wide rockslide for a tank of mbuna. But my little 30g to 55g tanks with 3"-4" cichlids are still a whole lot of fun.

Enjoy it, everyone,and don't be afraid to try something new.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
There is something for everyone.
So true, if you like to build things, unlimited DIY possiblities, if you're into creating art, then you can put a lot into aquascaping, if you're into chemistry and biology, there's plenty to tinker with and challenge yourself with. And if you just like to sit and watch pretty fish swim around, there's that too.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I enjoy it for many of the reasons mentioned and I enjoy the hobby because you can always learn something. One more dimension - I also enjoy aquatic photography.

Btw Lestango, when I lived in Illinois, I used to wade fish the K3 river near you a lot (loved KRSP). That is one of the best smallmouthbass rivers on Planet Earth.

Russ

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You bet Razzo. Can you imagine where all the rocks I build my rockpile assemblies come from? And after you build things, do your chemistry checks, create an aquascape, and all the rest of those things you sit back and aaaahh! And then you notice your N. helianthus have just started a colony of 2f & 1m and you run to the freezer to thaw some bbs.

Russ - too many fish right this moment for some of your beautiful black pearls, as much as I want to. :dancing: Any one want to help me turn my attatched garage into a fish room? :lol:

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Lestango said:
You bet Razzo. Can you imagine where all the rocks I build my rockpile assemblies come from?
I bet, I stumbled over one of your rocks at some point while wading K3. I dunked my first digital camera in that river. ha ha ha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts