Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought new foods for my fish, all of them carnivorous and omnivorous. I've been feeding them Hikari Cichlid Excel Mini Pellets and I recently added Hikari Micro Wafers to their diet because the smaller Lithobates wasn't getting a chance to eat as much as the bigger fish. Last night I fed them Dainichi Iltima Krill (sinking and floating) for the first time and now I'm trying to design a diet or feeding schedule to get the best out of the foods.

This are the foods I have:

Dainichi Ultima Krill (floating) 3.5 mm
Dainichi Ultima (Sinking) 3 mm
Hikari Cichlid Excel Mini-Pellets (floating) 3 mm
Hikari Micro Wafers (sinking)

Treats:
Omega One Freeze-Dried Brine Shrimp
Hikari Bio-Pure Ocean Plankton

My questions is, should I feed for example, Dainichi in the morning and Hikari at night? or Dianichi on Mondays and Hikari on Tuesdays, etc. etc?

As far as the treats I was thinking about Brine Shrimp once every two weeks and Ocean Plankton once every two weeks, so basically once a month each. Let's say Week 2 of June I will give them Ocean Plankton and Week 4 of the same month Brine Shrimp.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I had this problem with multiple foods. I just get an old flake food bottle and mix even parts and shake. Then feed like I normally do.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
I'm trying to design a diet or feeding schedule to get the best out of the foods
I'm not sure what you mean by that, but if any of the food varieties is lacking nutritionally, I'd dump it and find one that's better. I feed one food, just different sizes for different sized fish. Feeding doesn't need to be this complicated.

Fish don't need 'treats'. You're giving human qualities to your fish that they just don't have.

Just my .02. Keep it simple.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

Yeah, I'm probably making it a little complicated, I just want to add more variety to their diet. All foods are excellent and appropriate for them, I just wanted to know the best way to feed those foods to them, if there's such thing.

As far as the treats, I know they are not really necessary and they don't think of treats as we do, but I was just thinking about adding something more "exciting" to their diet once in a while, but not regularly.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
You can't really determine frequency to feed each food unless you know the nutritional needs of your fish and analyze the ingredients and protein content of each food.

If they are all absolutely equal then feed one each day.

Those are awfully big pellets, are all your fish 8" or larger?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DJRansome said:
You can't really determine frequency to feed each food unless you know the nutritional needs of your fish and analyze the ingredients and protein content of each food.

If they are all absolutely equal then feed one each day.

Those are awfully big pellets, are all your fish 8" or larger?
They are between 2" and 5.5". Pellets are 3 mm and I have Hikari Micro Wafers for the smaller fish, but they also eat the 3 mm pellets.

I've decided to feed them Dainichi (floating and sinking) Ultima Krill in the morning and Hikari Cichlid Excel (floating) and Hikari Micro wafers (sinking) at night. Dainichi Ultima Krill is for omnivorous and carnivorous fish, which is the category where all my fish fall into. Hikari is for herbivorous, because even carnivorous fish need some vegetables and I've been feeding them that for 3 weeks with no problems.

Thanks.

·
Registered
705 Posts
lol i have tons of left over foods. stuff certain fish wont eat but others just loved... i like it cuz i get to try different things. trying to get discus to feed off the surface has been a challenge but a cpl have gotten the hang of it. feed how u like just make sure u use the food or sell it before it expires.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My guys go crazy for any food so far and no problem with feeding off the surface. I have to make sure that all of them eat because some are voracious eaters and won't give the others ones time to eat. It's kind of difficult to follow the "feed what they can eat in 30 seconds" rule because my fish will just keep on eating, so I stop feeding them once every one got one or two 3 mm pellets, twice a day. Which makes it 2-4 3 mm pellets per day for each fish. The biggest one is the Venustus at about 5.5".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.