Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 125 gallon hap/peacock tank, currently i have alot of stone and fake plants in there. The fake plants harbor and contain an enormous amount of fish poop in the bases and i was wondering because my nitrates are high would it be better to remove the fake plants and just let the do-do get sucked up into the filter or is it more beneficial to me to leave it in the substrate and vacuum it out once a week, or it doesn't matter where the poop is because its still in the water system. My crazy friend says to take out all the fake plants so its also easier to clean the tank and that way the fish waste isn't out rotting in the substrate. He has a point, but i don't think the filter makes the fish waste not contribute to the nitrate levels. I need an expert opinion on this, or a stupid opinion that makes everyone laugh.Thanks

·
Registered
929 Posts
For the most part, it doesn’t matter so long as it’s in a place the gets cleaned during your regular maintenance. What is your current maintenance schedule like? If your nitrates are high, it sounds like you need to step it up a bit and make sure your not skipping over anything – like the filters.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
IMO-- It is not good either place. Stick a cork in them.

If that doesn't work,I think it is better to have it go to the filter where there is moving water. Moving water means more O2 where there will be more bacteria waiting to break it down. Whether to keep the plants or not depends on how you feel about dealing with them. Bare tanks are easier but not often very nice. We pay the price to play the game as we see it.

This might be a chance to offer to let your friend run HIS tank the way HE wants!

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
If you're going to leave it in the filter, then might as well leave it on the substrate. You're right, either place it breaks down into nitrates. Best to leave it where it will get removed fastest/easiest.

·
Registered
388 Posts
As above, poop in the filter IS poop in the tank. Same water. Try a cheap powerhead and position it to blow the poop up and out of the plants, or merely cut back a smidge on feeding. Increase water changes if the nitrates stay high.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this all stems from me arguing with my dumb friend, he was under the assumption that if the poop goes in the filter it just dissapears into fantasyland. and i told him if its in there its in the filter its still in the system because its an enclosed system and he's just a hardheaded german dumb #[email protected] It started when he said i clean my tank too much, but i have over 25 medium sized haps and peacocks that i feed every day and the bioload is high and i need to do water changes every 3 or 4 days with a gravel vac, and i change out my 2 fluval 405's every 30 days and i am fine..It seems no one understands fishkeeping at all and if you take on the responsibility of a large tank with alot of fish your going to spend a fair amount of time on upkeep if you want your fish healthy. My friend has a 55 gallon with neon tetras and all these sweet community fish that do not require the maintenance a cichlid tank does. Thanks for the replies, i'm finding myself having conversation on CF more because at least there are people on here that understand and have knowledge about cichlids

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
frank testagrose said:
this all stems from me arguing with my dumb friend, he was under the assumption that if the poop goes in the filter it just dissapears into fantasyland. and i told him if its in there its in the filter its still in the system because its an enclosed system and he's just a hardheaded german dumb #[email protected] It started when he said i clean my tank too much, but i have over 25 medium sized haps and peacocks that i feed every day and the bioload is high and i need to do water changes every 3 or 4 days with a gravel vac, and i change out my 2 fluval 405's every 30 days and i am fine..It seems no one understands fishkeeping at all and if you take on the responsibility of a large tank with alot of fish your going to spend a fair amount of time on upkeep if you want your fish healthy. My friend has a 55 gallon with neon tetras and all these sweet community fish that do not require the maintenance a cichlid tank does. Thanks for the replies, i'm finding myself having conversation on CF more because at least there are people on here that understand and have knowledge about cichlids
You're right and able to see the differences between the two setups that he can't. There are setups where too much maintenace would be detrimental (called a 'natural' tank), some that need a alot, and everything in between.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
That's why we all need to choose our friends carefully! Unfortunately most of us spend more time and effort choosing our fish than we do choosing our friends.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts