Black, White or Tan
Black2744.26%
White2134.43%
Tan1321.31%

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What is better for a Electric Blue Jack Dempsey and a normal JD. black, white or tan.

And dose pool filter sand come in black or only in tan/white?

Black looks better to me. :D

and my black ground will be black paint.

I want your opinions and if pool filter sand comes in black and i know it doesn't madder in pool words so I don't know.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dose any one Know if pool filter sand come in black or just white/tan.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I just changed my 75 from black fine gravel to tan/white pool filter sand and the fish seem unchanged.

Personally, I like the tan/white look and how it accents my JD, but if you're going black background, go with what will look better.

Edit: I do not know if pool filter sand comes in black, I'm afraid you might have to pony up the money for moon sand.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I have three types of sand right now- Black tahitian moon, white pool filter, tan play sand. I don't like the tanks with just plain white PFS- but that's the only tank that doesn't end up with sand going through the filters. My latest tanks have a mix of 3/4 pool and 1/4 play sand- and so far I like that best for hiding poop and protecting the filters.

Fish do look good on the black sand though, but it is expensive. If it helps, 2 20lb bags is more than enough for a 4ft, 55g tank.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
On the same note, i have been researching the success people have had with the black diamond blasting sand (slag type) in they African tanks. Not trying to take over, but I have tan sand and it seems like it is too bright for my taste and see this stuff for sale for about $8 for 50lbs. I have seen alot of people who said they were trying it but very few reported back with the results of their success. I do know a breeder who uses it with his shellies and swears by it, but would like some more input from others who have tried it.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
I am using a black blasting sand (nickel slag) in one of my tanks in #20 grit and have an 88lb bag of #12 in the garage for another setup. The first batch has been in use for a year. I had orange head Tapajos in that tank, but no cichlids right now. I have had no issues. It is definitely cheap.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think I will try black sand blasting sand Because it will make the Electric blue stand out and my blue gene look good too. :D :fish:
I think Black sand is going to win the poll. :lol:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I am thinking so too. :lol: I am thinking about grabbing a couple bags myself this week since I will be painting my living room and moving my tank anyhow so might as well do it now since I gotta drain it anyhow.

Post some pics when your done of before and after if you can.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The tank I am putting the sand in still needs to have the background to be painted on and the canopy thing still needs to have a second coat of Stain. OK I will post a pic of now After painting the back ground and after the sand and then I don't this post will last long enough for the fish EBJD is still Like one inch but is growing weekly. :D oh I'll try to get a picture of him (camera shy fish LOL)

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have both with Ebjd and jds. Two different tanks. One with white/tan and one with black/blue. The black is way better. Makes the colors bolder. In the white they seem a little flushed.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is my little EBJD :D Named Nemo (it was my idea :roll: ) (kinda :lol: )

Here is my hood

And here is the tank :D (80 Gallon)

The last picture has my paint for the back ground on it
It's raining. hard. BOOM (that was thunder :lol: )

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I have pfs in 4 tanks and it is by far the best bang for your buck. Doesn't get to filters as easy and is cheap. Think about it pool=water filter=substrate and sand. The only bad thing is the one color. I have mixed with black and it does well. All in all I would go with the black tahitian moon sand (which I have in a 125) ,if money wasn't an issue. I'm a black on black fan. 8)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is a update I decided to pick black Tahitian Moon sand. Because I couldn't find any black sand blasting sand. so here it is full of water cycling.

·
Registered
152 Posts
It is really difficult advising on such threads. The main thing is not necessarily the substrate, but the lighting. If your lighting is too strong then light substrate will blow the colours of the fish, but dark substrate will be more sympathetic and vice versa.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I've had just about every color.. My main Mbuna tank is using black moon sand which i love..

10,000 T5 Actinic the blue isnt for everyone but it's really not as blue as the picture looks.

And then in my SA tank I am using PFS sand but I decided to mix in some tan cichlid sand as the pure white/clear was a bit too much so i want to darken it up..

two Power Glo T8s

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Remember, color is a personal thing. Black did make my EBJD's look very good, but I thought it made the regular dempseys too dark. It can vary by fish. Black does seem to make many fish look better, but not all. OH Geo's and Apisto cac's come to mind there.

Lighting plays a part as well.

I voted tan because you'll have a normal JD in there. The EBJD's look good just about over anything. :lol: And yes I know you already have the sand in there, but just wanted to toss the two pence in.

·
Registered
78 Posts
xxbenjamminxx said:
I am thinking so too. :lol: I am thinking about grabbing a couple bags myself this week since I will be painting my living room and moving my tank anyhow so might as well do it now since I gotta drain it anyhow.

wheres the pics???..lol..I just picked up two 50 lbs bags of white silica sandblasting sand, and was staring at the black version of it for a few minutes trying to decide if I should get it, but wasnt sure, as I hadnt read anything about it as of yet, of course until I get home, get time, and actually search black slag..lol. wife bought another 20 gallon for our lil entertainment center which now holds three tanks, so we are switching over to white silica sandblasting sand for two tanks to accent the blue and white LED rope lighting I installed inside the perimeters of the entertainment center.

·
Registered
93 Posts
jturkey69 said:
xxbenjamminxx said:

wheres the pics???..lol..I just picked up two 50 lbs bags of white silica sandblasting sand, and was staring at the black version of it for a few minutes trying to decide if I should get it, but wasnt sure, as I hadnt read anything about it as of yet, of course until I get home, get time, and actually search black slag..lol. wife bought another 20 gallon for our lil entertainment center which now holds three tanks, so we are switching over to white silica sandblasting sand for two tanks to accent the blue and white LED rope lighting I installed inside the perimeters of the entertainment center.
Where are you finding black sandblasting sand at? I have been looking everywhere for some and can't find any. 3M quit making their color quartz and I can't find any of that either.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts