Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so i have a 30 gallon long tank that i was running a DIY pvc overflow and sump (had issue with a fish getting stuck n stopping the flow) so right now i popped on 2 HOB filters. Well i have this Eheim 2206 not doing anything, and i was thinking of using the eheim 2206 with spray bar, and then use the pump/powerhead i used for the sump, for UGJ system.

question is.... would you use DIY PVC sump setup, or Eheim 2206 and undergravel jet setup in a 30gallon?

·
Registered
238 Posts
I wouldn't use an undergravel filter system on African Cichlid tank setup. Used one years ago and they just like to dig to much for it to remain effective.

I run 3 Penguin 350 HOB with BioWheels on my 125 gallon and have excellent flow and filtration.

·
Registered
361 Posts
biglove, he's considering an undergravel JET system, which is actually a misnomer as they're best used with a sand substrate. You can read about them here.

I would skip using a sump for a 30 gallon. How big is your sump for this tank anyways? Direct the UGJ's to push crud towards the intake of your canister and you'll be very happy about not having to vacuum the sand.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@biglove, im talking about Undergravel jets, not filters.

@Guams The sump tank was 10gallons. Was great while i had it running, very easy to maintain, then i pretty much lost all suction in the overflow from a smaller fish getting sucked through and getting stuck. now im wondering how many jets to use...

·
Registered
208 Posts
liquid: I'm just being honest in saying that I think a sump is overkill on a 30g tank. Of coarse, if your intent is to hide equipment, more water volume, then a sump is never the "wrong" thing to use. However, if it's just filtration your after, then on a 30g, the eheim would be the most practical thing to use, and even a single HOB would do. If you use that Rio for the UGJ, you will be getting 10x turnover through the powerhead alone. That along side the eheim is alot of flow, but may work in your setup.

This is just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
PauloSilva said:
liquid: I'm just being honest in saying that I think a sump is overkill on a 30g tank. Of coarse, if your intent is to hide equipment, more water volume, then a sump is never the "wrong" thing to use. However, if it's just filtration your after, then on a 30g, the eheim would be the most practical thing to use, and even a single HOB would do. If you use that Rio for the UGJ, you will be getting 10x turnover through the powerhead alone. That along side the eheim is alot of flow, but may work in your setup.

This is just my 2 cents.
yea, i knew the sump was over kill.... but i wanted to hide equipment. last night i started working on a UGJ setup. so ill post pictures hopfully today or tomorrow when im done!

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi liquid134,

Without seeing your DIY filtration system I am not sure if my advice will be applicable.

However, why not simply add a prefilter of some type (mesh, foam, and/or plastic) to any intake tubes. Similiarly, if they are jumping over into your overflow box, try adding a plastic grate to cover the overflow (might work best below water level).

Just some ideas if you liked your old set up.

Thanks,
matt

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I wont ever use a sump again unless I have to. TOO LOUD! UGJs are more work than they are worth. Especially with a 30g, just use a powerhead to add flow if you need it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
RRasco said:
I wont ever use a sump again unless I have to. TOO LOUD! UGJs are more work than they are worth. Especially with a 30g, just use a powerhead to add flow if you need it.
My sump is quieter than my tiny marineland HOB. There are a few easy tricks to making a quiet sump. I like the fact that my equipment is hidden and that I have an extra 40G of total volume with the sump. Setting up the return from my filters as UGJs was a little time consuming, but worth the time since I don't spend any time vacuuming.

Anyway without hijacking the thread, a HOB filter would be adequate for a 30G, just add alot of filter floss for plenty of bio-media surface. I agree with the recommendation to add an Eheim cannister. These are much better than HOBs IMO. A small powerhead would help eliminate dead spots as well.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I've tried durso standpipes and the hofer gurgle buster without it making a difference. I need a bigger overflow to test with b/c mine is limited on space which may have something to do with it. As it stands, sounds like I have a bath tub draining 24 hours a day.

/threadjack

·
Registered
250 Posts
RRasco said:
I've tried durso standpipes and the hofer gurgle buster without it making a difference. I need a bigger overflow to test with b/c mine is limited on space which may have something to do with it. As it stands, sounds like I have a bath tub draining 24 hours a day.

/threadjack
I went with the stockman standpipe design with great success. I have a really slim overflow as well (That's what she said :D) Here's a link that shows how I quieted the beast. It was like a **** water slide at an amusement park before:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=202619&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=15

Double threadjack

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
when i had the sump/diy pvc overflow running, i tweaked it and managed to get it silent. i was very happy with it. today i tore down the sump, cleaned it out, and currently are holding the fish from the 30, while i tweak this 2 jet UGJ setup i made. there is 14" to each jet so there pretty even in pressure. now i gotta think of how im going to rearrange everything. hopefully will post pics later tonight. thanks for the comments/advice guys!

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well, *** been messing with this eheim for like 2 hours now and i cant figure out why it keeps stopping. everything is hooked up, no leaks, spraybar submerged, and its primed as far as my arm can do it. i plug it in, it starts to work, i start getting pressure from the spraybar, then BAM, it starts making noise and wont, well, work! im getting aggravated, its like it loses siphon, but i dont understand how it would.

·
Registered
250 Posts
liquid134 said:
well, I've been messing with this eheim for like 2 hours now and i cant figure out why it keeps stopping. everything is hooked up, no leaks, spraybar submerged, and its primed as far as my arm can do it. i plug it in, it starts to work, i start getting pressure from the spraybar, then BAM, it starts making noise and wont, well, work! im getting aggravated, its like it loses siphon, but i dont understand how it would.
Try taking the impeller out and cleaning it. The instruction book shows you how. I have noticed that with my Eheim cannister, you have to make sure that the impeller is seated correctly, or what you just described will happen.

Good luck,

Jon

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well, i did take out the impeller last night, and didnt seem dirty, but i cleaned it anyway, put it back in, made sure it was setup right... and still the noise. its weird, i can get it to start, and it doesnt make the noise and it shooting water back up through the spray bar, but then few seconds later it stops

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
well.... it was getting air inthrough the intake tube, causing it to shut down. i did also clean the impeller and area again. right now its running with the lever at full speed, but the indicator is only showing 3 bars... not sure why? everything was clean, not getting anymore air from the intake(not seeing bubbles in the down tube). gonna let it run and see if it gets better.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
update:

so i tore it apart again today (well just where the impeller is) and cleaned every little spot with q-tips and paper towels and some hot water. got it back up and running and its noiseless. but my pressure according to the gauge still isnt at max when i have the valve wide open. O well.... has enough power/flow for me

the undergravel jets however im debating on what to do.... seems as maybe 2 jets are just too strong at full power... that being said.... should i add a 3rd jet, same distance away from the pump, or should i put on the small valve to adjust the power and just use 2 jets?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts