Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I've been kicking around the idea of getting into Tanganyikans, and I would potentially like to convert my all male Malawi over. I really don't know much about the "other" lake though, so I was curious what you all would do with a 6ft tank.

I love the odd territorial / mating / rearing behavioral quirks, so I was thinking about getting some Calliurus shellies. I've heard that competing males will steal shells from one another to get the females in them. That sounds really entertaining.

I was also thinking about some of the smaller cyps, because I'd like to see a fish claim a teritory in a 3D open water space.

I figured I would have the best luck if I just copied some ideas from the experts who already really know tangs. Let me know what you did that worked well, what you're interested in trying, etc. Any pics would be welcome too if you don't mind. (I don't really know what all of the different Tanganyikans even look like.)

Thanks Everyone!

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
love the odd territorial / mating / rearing behavioral quirks, so I was thinking about getting some Calliurus shellies. I've heard that competing males will steal shells from one another to get the females in them. That sounds really entertaining.
That'd be callipterus, not calliurus. Although calliurus are nice fish too. Getting the shell stealing going in an aquarium isn't easy to do. My three males seem to be buddies, and let the one male have all the shells. They come to visit his shell pile on occasion. :roll:

You might want to take a look at the African Gallery and find something you'd like to build around.

One combo I'll throw out is xeno's, p. nigripinnis, and 'l'. brevis.

You can see pics of mine and the tanks on my You Tube Channel.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
xWingman48 said:
...Let me know what you did that worked well, what you're interested in trying, etc....
6-foot tank? Here's what I would do...

I would pick up 12 to 15 F1 C. Gibberosa Mikula fry (1.5" or bigger) and I would put them in with several different altolamp species (males only). The altolamps would need to be medium to large. I would put a black congo calvus (Inkfin or White Pearl) and I would do a couple comps species too (orange fin and Muzi gold head - possibly other varients too). So, I'd end up with about 6 to 9 male altolamps. I would also add a school of syno cats too.

I would also put in a bunch of zebra nertite snails too.

That's what I would do :)

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Now, that's what I "would do now;" however, here is what I "have done before" with a 6-foot tank...

22 cyps
6 orangefin comps
6 brevis
Occassionally throwing in some juvie frontosa until I sold them.

Something I didn't have in there before that I would next time in a similar setup would be to go with some julies & caudopunks.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I have also had it in mind to do a 6-foot sand sifter tank too.

So many wonderful fish to chose from.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Razzo said:
6-foot tank? Here's what I would do...

I would pick up 12 to 15 F1 C. Gibberosa Mikula fry (1.5" or bigger) and I would put them in with several different altolamp species (males only). The altolamps would need to be medium to large. I would put a black congo calvus (Inkfin or White Pearl) and I would do a couple comps species too (orange fin and Muzi gold head - possibly other varients too). So, I'd end up with about 6 to 9 male altolamps. I would also add a school of syno cats too.

I would also put in a bunch of zebra nertite snails too.

That's what I would do :)
I'm sure that would be a very stunning tank. The problem though is that I would be essentially trading an all male peacock / hap tank for an all male Altolamp tank. My current tank is beautiful with the haps / peacocks: https://picasaweb.google.com/mhenrichs48/125MalawiNew

I'm getting a bit bored with it though, and I'm looking to get some more of the breeding behavior, so I think I'm going to want breeding groups. I may end up with some Calvus though, because those are really beautiful fish.

I agree with you on the snails. They are fantastic cleaners that put bristlenose plecos to shame. That would mean that I need to get rid of my loaches though, and they're the only things keeping my trumpet snail infestation in check. (...so I may have to find another way to get rid of those pests before switching to Nerites).

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
prov356 said:
love the odd territorial / mating / rearing behavioral quirks, so I was thinking about getting some Calliurus shellies. I've heard that competing males will steal shells from one another to get the females in them. That sounds really entertaining.
That'd be callipterus, not calliurus. Although calliurus are nice fish too. Getting the shell stealing going in an aquarium isn't easy to do. My three males seem to be buddies, and let the one male have all the shells. They come to visit his shell pile on occasion. :roll:

You might want to take a look at the African Gallery and find something you'd like to build around.

One combo I'll throw out is xeno's, p. nigripinnis, and 'l'. brevis.

You can see pics of mine and the tanks on my You Tube Channel.
Hmm, I thought the calliurus did that too. I guess I was mistaken. They are beautiful fish though, and I think I'm going to have to have some kind of shelly. I've never looked into Xenos. I'll have to read up on them a bit. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts