Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,923 Posts
Thanks for the dimensions, it must be the angle of the pic that makes the sides and height look longer.

Well, Lake Malawi cichlids are out as the tank footprint is too small. I also don't think there are any small colorful Lake Tanganyika cichlids that would work.

Did you have any particular colorful cichlids that you were attracted to?

Also do you know the pH, hardness and alkalinity of your tap water?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the dimensions, it must be the angle of the pic that makes the sides and height look longer.

Well, Lake Malawi cichlids are out as the tank footprint is too small. I also don't think there are any small colorful Lake Tanganyika cichlids that would work.

Did you have any particular colorful cichlids that you were attracted to?

Also do you know the pH, hardness and alkalinity of your tap water?
No nothing particular in mind. I like the blue Dempseys and yellow labs but I don't think that tank is a good fit for those types.

I'm not super familiar with cichlids other than kribs that I have in my 75g.

Also not too sure about what my parameters are other than pH which hovers around 7.6-7.8 and hardness is around 9 I think.

·
Premium Member
4,870 Posts
You have a pretty small-sized, kind of difficult shaped aquarium for stocking with anything in the (traditional) African Cichlid Mbuna world. But, that doesn't mean you can't have something interesting and pretty colorful in this tank!
Oh no... for example, allow me to introduce you to this fine fellow,

Fin Organism Underwater Fish Marine biology

"Hello! I'm A GREAT LOOKING Cockatoo Cichlid!"

Yes, the pictured Cichlid is a male Apistogramma cacatuoides, (Cockatoo Cichlid). Cockatoos are a New World dwarf Cichlid species, They prefer things on the cooler side in their aquariums to look and feel their best. Plus, like the African Mbuna you mentioned above, this little guy also keeps a 'harem' of females, with a 1M-4F stocking group considered optimal in the aquarium.
Not fussy about their water parameters as long as extremes are avoided, your water should work out just fine, de-chlorinated right outta the tap.
Interested?
Maybe we can set up something a little different for this interesting little aquarium of yours, with Cockatoo Cichlids as the center piece fish for this tank! :cool:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have a pretty small-sized, kind of difficult shaped aquarium for stocking with anything in the (traditional) African Cichlid Mbuna world. But, that doesn't mean you can't have something interesting and pretty colorful in this tank!
Oh no... for example, allow me to introduce you to this fine fellow,

View attachment 139719

"Hello! I'm A GREAT LOOKING Cockatoo Cichlid!"

Yes, the pictured Cichlid is a male Apistogramma cacatuoides, (Cockatoo Cichlid). Cockatoos are a New World dwarf Cichlid species, They prefer things on the cooler side in their aquariums to look and feel their best. Plus, like the African Mbuna you mentioned above, this little guy also keeps a 'harem' of females, with a 1M-4F stocking group considered optimal in the aquarium.
Not fussy about their water parameters as long as extremes are avoided, your water should work out just fine, de-chlorinated right outta the tap.
Interested?
Maybe we can set up something a little different for this interesting little aquarium of yours, with Cockatoo Cichlids as the center piece fish for this tank! :cool:
I could definitely get into something like that! what other types of fish could be in there with a cockatoo cichlid?

·
Premium Member
4,870 Posts
Great!
There are some absolutely awesome cold-water species on this list here,

My personal recommendations for that list are as follows,
  • Go small! If the Cockatoo Cichlid is kept properly in a 1M-4F 'harem', they will pretty much ignore other things kept in the tank with them. Yes, they might get distracted by other fish, and might even get a bit annoyed at times, but will never thrash little fish kept with them if they can enjoy all the drama and games to play with each other.
  • The Celestial Danio is a really beautiful fish. At around an inch in length, you can get quite a few of them. Another favorite is the White Cloud Mountain Minnow. If you prefer to be a New World 'purist' the Endlers Live Bearer is hard to beat, and I really like those Bloodfin Tetras.
  • Don't forget the cleanup crew! A single Ancistrus type (Bristlenose) catfish will work great to keep the algae at bay.
  • And yeah.... you really should stock this tank with a nice group of Panda Corydoras catfish.
-
So.... next question: Aquatic Plants Much?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts