Cichlid Fish Forum banner
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Yeah... and, I'm NOT a fan. :?
It's one thing if you have a swimming pool or something with one of those, and you can just blast it out with a pressurized hose nozzle and tap water. Quite another, if you need to utilize it as part of your biological filtration system. Short of a source of pressurized well water, (no chloramine treatment) I can only imagine the lengths you would have to go in cleaning a pleated filter to maintain the beneficial bacteria colony in it.
- I suspect cleaning the pleated filter regularly wasn't a problem for the reef tank. A mechanical 'water polisher'? The canister was not needed to augment biological filtration, so just blasting it out with tap water and rinsing it in something to neutralize the chloramine was all it required.
Can you fill and stack this canister up Andy, with shaped/cut down sheets of pond filtration foam? Removing stacked layers of pond filtration foam out and squeezing/hand rinsing them regularly in five gallon buckets of tank water, seems like it may be the easiest way to go in cleaning this thing. And, that will maintain the beneficial bacteria established in that foam media.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
That sounds like a solid idea.

Would it be beneficial to create "layers"? Like maybe put some foam, then some ceramic, then some pot scrubbers, then maybe some bioballs? Be gentle if that's moronic!

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Wow, looks like you've been doing some serious scrubbing there Andy! The sump looks a huge amount better than before.
-
As for the canister filter? I suppose you could try layering the stack inside that thing. I wouldn't go 'Full Eheim' levels with that though, and would just simplify the media as much as possible. So, if you have some Matrix rock you can place inside a mesh bag that will spread out enough to completely fill out a distinct layer inside the canister? Then yes, I would definitely go for that as part of your canister filtration media. Reason is, the porous Matrix rock will colonize more bacteria than filtration foam will.
I would just try using layers of foam top and bottom, with the Matrix rock sandwiched in-between. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
About 5 hours of scrubbing and some minor plumbing repairs later, tank is filled and running.

I have crushed matrix rock on it's way to eventually replace the cartridge filter in the canister, so for now I have the scrubbies in the filter box.

The heaters won't fit in the filter box

>.<

*doh!*

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Pot scrubbies.... :roll:
Jeeeze man, back in the day we all used cut-down sheets of pond filtration foam for these things.
I guess now Dat's Old School, yo'. :wink:
_
Hmmmm... you may seriously want to consider getting an inline heater for this tank. There's different ways to do this, from purchasing a housing for placing a standard submersible heater down in, to full-up units with a heater built-in and everything. Usually placed one the discharge side of the pump supplying the tank, there are various arrangements for these things that I'm sure would work...
Plus: STRONGLY RECOMMMEND you keep submersible electric heaters out of any tank with decent sized Guaptoe's in it. The on-off light almost always starts freaking them out for some reason - and the results are definitely pretty catastrophic.
Best avoided.... :(

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Did not know that about the heaters... I might be able to fit the heaters under the bio balls. I'm considering switching heaters from my other 125 that are shorter and should fit in the box. Are you saying that would not work either though?

My mom and grandma have been making those scrubbies my whole life! The first time I saw one in a store I about lost it!!!

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
You should be able to place a nice long 250 to 300 watt electric submersible on it's side, down in the space under those bio-balls.
That's the best way to do it, actually. Placing a heater directly in-line with the sump discharge piping or down in some direct water flow like that, will boost up their heating efficiency in the aquarium a LOT. :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I'll get it under the bioballs the next time I turn the pump off. Can't wait to get my fish in it!

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
Alright! It's looking good.
And.... is that the actual 'TEXAS HOLEY ROCK' I see in there underneath some former reef, live rock chunks? If so? Well then ($$$), those rocks do come with a handsome price in these parts.
Got just a few,
- How noisy is the sump in operation? Sometimes that is the biggest change to adjust to (and problem) with new sump filtration systems.
- You gonna put a background on that tank? The cheapest and possibly best way to do it, would be to just get some black latex paint and a paint roller. Mask it off on the sides with some tape and get after it! :lol:
- Watch out for the rocks. A pair of big ol' Guapote's just ain't some wimpy little Mbuna. Adult-sized, male Jaguars (Dovii and Haitiensis are known for this also) seem to specialize in pushing some surprisingly heavy rocks around inside aquariums. It's kind of both terrifying and fascinating at the same time to watch when they wedge their heads down under 'em and just start muscling. Whew.... sand, detritus and sometimes even the rocks being lifted and pushed like that, go flying everywhere. They really get into it! :eek:
So before too long, it's gonna be HEAVY, Big Rocks in there. Use bog wood to place structure up higher inside the tank. And be careful of those rock piles....

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
The sump is louder than what I expected, but once the canopy goes on, it isn't bad. The motor becomes louder at that point, but it's just a hum.

Yes I'm getting backgrounds lol

41 - 52 of 52 Posts