Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
I don't have experience with using one of these filters and they do require a separate pump to run. Here is a link to the installation instructions and the various models.

You need to determine which model filter you have plus you'll need to check if parts are available for it and which water pump would be required to operate your particular model.

Did you just pick up this filter and want to use it?

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Oh my....
I'm guessing you got this canister filter as part of a package kind of deal thing? Did it come used with that 'steal' 125 gallon tank you were thinking about getting? If so, did it also come packaged together with the water pump needed to make it actually work?
Supposedly, the dedicated Salt & Reef Tank folks, plus a lot of the freshwater High Tech (CO2) 'Planty Types' use these things. The salt guys 'cause of it's inherent simplicity and easy access to the filtration media inside. The 'Planty Types' 'cause this type of filter won't blow their precious ($$$) CO2 out of the water.
The canister itself isn't that expensive to purchase. But then, when you add in the cost of the separate water pump - plus the DIY work, vinvl hose, fittings and PVC stuff you'll need to craft and set up for your intake and spray bar (discharge) fittings? Well, a lot of people aren't completely sure that the thing is worth all of the extra work to make it useful.
-
But, if you're a guy who likes to take things apart, make DIY stuff and just basically 'tinker' with things? This simple little canister filter could be your 'jam', I guess.... :roll:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a different 'steal' lol..

110g tank, going to be used as a temporary home for the jaguars. The aggression is just slowly building and I don't want to wait for it to get bad. It's 48"x24"x24" so not ideal, but I'm thinking maybe it could be a peacock tank after I get my jaguars a 180+. The tank/ stand/ canopy are really nice!

I think it has everything needed, but it was used for salt in the past.

These are some other pictures of the filtration. I thought it was just a sump but maybe it is something in conjunction with the canister?

Story on the tank- older couple had their last clown fish die of old age at 12 years and they don't want to start another tank... I plan on doing some intensive cleaning, but will take any advice on preparing this as well!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Hello Andy,
you may want to measure out this new 110 gallon aquarium you just got. If this aquarium actually measures out at 24"Wide X 48"Long X 24"High, then your tank is the so-called 150 gallon XH. If this tank measures out at 18 inches Wide - then it is the 110 gallon XH. :)

·
Registered
80 Posts
Auballagh said:
Hello Andy,
you may want to measure out this new 110 gallon aquarium you just got. If this aquarium actually measures out at 24"Wide X 48"Long X 24"High, then your tank is the so-called 150 gallon XH. If this tank measures out at 18 inches Wide - then it is the 110 gallon XH. :)
Hello Auballagh. I've seen you refer to the 24x48x24 as a 150 XH before but to me it comes out at 120 US gallons and the 48x18x24 at 90 gallons. What am I missing?

Regards,
Stu

·
Registered
213 Posts
4x2x2 is a pretty common 120g. With a 30 in height it is 150g. Never seen a filter like that, but somehow the name rings a bell?

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
You're right on that one... been a bit since I had those tanks, I had to look it up!. And yes, the 30 inch height made the 150G a so-called, 'XH'. :)
===============================
So Andy, what exactly did you get with the canister filter? Does it have a pump, vinyl tubing, PVC fittings... y'know, the works? I mean does the this contraption look like it's ready to just connect everything together, then plug & play?

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Oh, and sorry... you were looking for some advice on cleaning a former saltwater tank?
Well, aesthetically the salt build up and 'crust' on one of those things won't look very nice. But, outside of that, the tank and equipment will be safe to use for freshwater use. I would just scrub everything down with hot tap water and a stiff nylon brush, then allow everything to fully dry in the air. NO SOAP!!! But, if you have some particularly bad, crusty spots you want to clean up? On glass, I've found the best bet is to pre-soak the spot with vinegar (mild acid), then get after it and start scraping with a single edged craft razor. Rinse with freshwater, inspect and repeat! :oops:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm not sure exactly what is going to be with it... it's a nice tank and stand with some big rocks.

The price is good enough that even if I have to toss the filter and buy a new one, I still did really well. At this point, I'm just running out of space at home

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Picked the tank up today. The sump is A MESS! But it did come with the necessary plumbing and pump for the canister to work.

Now, I just need to clean everything, get it all setup, and run some cycling tests... The former owners had it up for 25 years, so I'm hoping bacteria colonies are good.

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
If this was a saltwater aquarium the bacteria is not the same. Plus you don't know what other critters may be in the substrate if you are using it so I would take Auballagh's advice a couple posts up to clean and dry everything out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It was a saltwater, but I didn't realize the bacteria was different. I figured it is all performing the same process-

Ammonia -> Nitrite-> Nitrate

I've already cleaned the tank- it wasn't that bad. The sump is a mess though. Do I need to take apart the canister and fully clean it? I was hoping to get my jaguars moved sooner than 6 weeks... that's the only reason I did not plan on scrubbing everything.

·
Super Moderator
1,853 Posts
I would clean everything, just rinse out any gunk from everything including the canister. I'm not a fan of not cleaning equipment and tanks that I got from someone else.

Once everything is clean you can set up all the equipment to make sure everything is running well and not leaking.

If you absolutely have to move fish to the new tank, hopefully the existing filter on the jaguars tank can be moved over to the 'new' tank so you don't have to do a fishless cycle.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Concur with all!
And outside of a good bit of scrubbing and 'grunt work', this tank actually sounds like it's almost ready to 'plug & play'!
So, it has a sump, hmmmm? I mean outside of some basic aesthetics - who cares what a sump really looks like? I mean it's tucked down under and inside the cabinet stand for the tank anyway, right? And, after a good round of scrubbin' and muscle work, you could have all of the plumbing parts for this beast ready to connect back up and running again.
So, 'Lock and Load' this thing man, and Git'r Dun!
- It sounds (and looks like) the canister filter was set up as either part of the discharge system to the tank, or was placed in simple re-circulation mode for the sump. Either way won't matter much, and shouldn't impede getting the sump back online and running again.
- Inspect all plastic parts carefully, esp. PVC fittings and pipe. With age, those things get brittle quicker than you'd think. And, after 25 years? Who knows what condition that stuff is in!
-
Whew.... them Jags ain't growing smaller, and neither is the aggression level in that too small tank they're both in now. It's time to convert that former reef tank over to it's new life of freshwater action and non-stop Jaguar Cichlid pair excitement! :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The jaguars are completely civil to each other... but they attack in tandem! It's crazy... one will get into a confrontation with one of the Oscars, and it only takes about 2 seconds for the other jaguar to come to its mate's aid!

Incredible to watch, but terrifying as well! I love ALL my fish, and I don't want to see any of them hurt.

The canister seems to have been hooked up as part of the return to the main tank, yes. Once I clean it up, I'll take some good pics.

·
Premium Member
4,693 Posts
Yes! Totally, post up some pics! And at this point, geeeeeze... we've all been kind of pulled into this drama with you. Its, 'The Battle of 'Andy vs. The Old Reef Tank'!
And, none of us wannna miss any of the cool moves and action scenes, 'y'know? :lol:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts