Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
You know I think it may be a genuine Synodontis schoutedeni boy were you lucky, all we get in LFSs are Syno hybrids from varous mainly Eastern European sourses.
For sure check it out on Planet catfish. I am for sure no expert on these.
For sure not a Synodontis Lace. Lace synodontis is the common name for S. nigrita and its not one of those for sure.

All the best James

·
Registered
912 Posts
That could be an extremely young S. eupterus, they change color around 3.5-4 inches. I say this from experience, as I've had one. The name of Lace is sometimes applied to eupterus in the US, which is also known as Featherfin Syno. It is also much more available, as they are being bred in Florida. The young can easily be mistaken for schoutedeni from the pattern.

However, if you go look at the genus Synodontis over at PlanetCatfish, there is at least one hybrid that looks exactly like your fish. In fact, that is closer than schoutedeni or juvi eupterus, and these are also being produced in great numbers in Florida. It also changes color, and I'm pretty sure eupterus is one of the species involved in the hybrid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.