Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I have a Bumblebee and a Black Convict in the 55g right now. I got them a while ago when they were tiny in a 20g and I didn't really know any better that they are from two different areas. I upgraded them to a 55g yesterday and was wondering what might work to try to keep the peace. The BB obviously shows signs of aggression but he goes crazy when I walk in the room and stare at me and will hand-feed so bringing him back isn't really an option because I like him too much lol.

I read a bunch that 55g is too small for a Bumble but I really want to make it work unless it gets too crazy. Some of the aggression is probably because there is very little cavework/rock in the tank because I just set it up yesterday. Any suggestion for tankmates to go with these two to maybe intimidate him into calming down?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I can't say I have good advice for you, but a single male bumblebee (pseud. Crabro?) with a large (think more than 8) harem of females might let you keep them in a species tank. I don't know whether I would try this - take it for what it is. They get big and mean. Perhaps it's time for that really large tank, if you want to keep them so much.

Is it a male or a female bumblebee? That might have bearing on others' advice.

I doubt the convict will ever be happy with any Mbuna. They're just a bit boisterous.

·
Super Moderator
40,495 Posts
A tank divider is all I can think of.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
DJRansome said:
A tank divider is all I can think of.
Same here. Just about anything you introduce is going to be bullied or take over as the new bully.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the posts. Not sure on the sex yet, and the biggest the tank can be is 55 for right now. Geez I really like the crabro and would feel terrible bringing him back after all these months, but if I really cant add more fish like you guys are saying, I might have to do that =/

If I did this and only had the Convict, would it be a lot easier to introduce same tempered fish?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Likes others have said, is the BB male or female? If you don't know, what colour is it? How big are each of these fish currently?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not sure about the sex, but I'll attach a photo of him (sorry for poor quality, using an older point-and-shoot). The Bumblebee is roughly 2-2.5 inches, the Convict is 2" or a little less. There are also 4 medium sized (1 inch or less) Tetras of some sort in there, but oddly enough he never bothers them. They just school at the top and he doesn't care, but they're not of great concern. If need be I can give them to my friend in his community tank.

Here is the Bumblebee and Convict (again sorry for bad quality it's hard to get a clear shot when they're swimming around lol). Bumble is about 2.25" and Convict is 2".

Just a photo to show the Marineland LED hood in action in night mode. Looks really nice in the dark and the daytime LED's are bright enough to illuminate the entire tank. Going to get PFS right now to replace the crushed bluestone and will probably mix 10 pounds of argonite with it. I have a lot of redecorating to do and new stuff to put in, I'm just waiting until after I replace the substrate today.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just switched it all over to PFS and it looks really really nice. Took about 10 washes to get the wash water crystal clear and the sand is a great color. Should I allow for 10-12 hours for any sand particles to settle before I turn the filter back on, or is 24 hours a better idea? There isn't anything floating around, it's just a little cloudy.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Turn the filter on now. Just don't run it when you're actually in there stirring things up.

I had 2 crabro in an all male tank because I didn't know better, can't recommend them. Mean, nasty suckers. They get big, too; and turn all black/brown. I don't believe there's a way they'll ever get along, and I don't know that either will thrive in the same water conditions.

Would it be possible to give him his very own small tank?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've read about the crabro males turning all black, but anyone ever heard of them turning all yellow? When I changed to sand and was rearranging everything, he (she?) lost all it's black stripes and was solid yellow, then gradually they became black again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts