Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some other types with my Demasoni right now but I was thinking about switching my tank around. Demasoni are staying for sure but any idea for a second type. I want something that will sort of take the aggression of my demasoni down a notch.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
A real popular combo as your prob already know is the Yellow Labs. I also have some Yellow Tailed Acei in with my Labs and Dems, and it almost seems like the Acei act as a Dither of sorts. The Acei are always out in the open water and since I got them it seem like I see more of my other fish.

One other thing I noticed is that I have alot of current in my tank and they seem more content just swimming in the current rather than fighting with one another.

·
Registered
279 Posts
xxbenjamminxx
Where do you have your circulation pumps placed in your tank I can't see them in your tank picture.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
I've had a lot of other fish mixed with my demasoni, including the ones in my signature and acei and socolofi. During the five-year period I have not found any of them check demasoni aggression. The only thing that does that for me is more demasoni. :thumb:

The tank works well and always has (after year one when I had 9 demasoni) as long as I remove excess males as they mature and are kicked out of the colony.

·
Registered
133 Posts
DJRansome said:
I've had a lot of other fish mixed with my demasoni, including the ones in my signature and acei and socolofi. During the five-year period I have not found any of them check demasoni aggression. The only thing that does that for me is more demasoni. :thumb:

The tank works well and always has (after year one when I had 9 demasoni) as long as I remove excess males as they mature and are kicked out of the colony.
Is that all you really have to worry about? As they get older, pull out the ones that look stressed out (hang out in corners/etc) and you're pretty much ok?

That's not too bad.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Btw I noticed the nipped fins are recovering at a great rate with the dems I bouht just thought I'd mention it to you.

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
DavidH said:
DJRansome said:

Is that all you really have to worry about? As they get older, pull out the ones that look stressed out (hang out in corners/etc) and you're pretty much ok?

That's not too bad.
That's all. Some people don't like to remove 250 pounds of rocks every couple of months to catch them. Some people let them go too long and end up with their tank wiped out with bloat. Some people don't like having to maintain the hospital tank 100% of the time and make the trips to the LFS to take back the extra males. If you are OK with all of that...no problem! I've adjusted, LOL.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts