Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can sand dwellers like xenos or callochromis be kept with altos? I'm looking for ideas since my tropheus tank idea had to be scratched. Tanks a 75 with only 3 1.5 inch comps and 2 2 inch synodontis multi crosses in it. I'm adding a species of cyp once I decide on which one to get, and I'm thinking gobies but they're another species I'm unsure of. Any input would be great.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Xenos should do fine with altos. I'd be wary of callo's in 4 feet, as my melanostigma were really hard on each other in 6 feet, but I hear some may be eaier going. Gobies, xenos, small cyps and the 3 altos could work. Not sure about the syno's, haven't' kept them.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had cal. steppersi in a tank that wasn't exactly big enough, with my altos and syno. valentino? anyways it's a hybrid as well..

They all did fine (1m-2F).. I got them as sub adult and kept them till right at full grown. Spawned a few times!!

I gave them back to my LFS (TPP) :D And now they are in a Tang show tank!! And STILL spawning!! ha :lol:

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have a 4 foot just now with xeno bathyphilus, cyps, alto comp sumbu, as long as there is somewhere for the comps to hide if need be it seems to be working so far :fish:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
as i said, the tanks built around 3 yellow comps, so theyre the center of the tank. the tank mates will be either a group of blue flash or blue neon, a group of gobies(3-4), and xenos i guess... i really wanted a few Callochromis pleurospilus but if they need bigger then a 75 gallon, not for me. i saw an adult group of daffodils today for 5 bucks a fish, 2 definate females, and one definate male, 2 unsure, but i dont think theyd work out in what i want to do.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
I would agree with you, pass on the daffodils. My experience with pleurospilus also suggests a 75 gallon would be difficult.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
figured as much, and thats upsetting that i cant get the callos, but oh well. id really like to add one more species, but id figure that having around 17 to 20 fish is near max. if i could get sumbu shells id definately have go for it though.. :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.