Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, new to the forums, little about myself was big into the aquatic hobby when i was younger, kept many types, breed a few but always had a fondness for cichlids, like many got started with that baby oscar in a 10g, few weeks later with the marvel of the internet im spending 2 months pay of a 16 year old on a 75g for my rapidly growing water dog, kept him for many years along with several other tanks up until a few years ago when i enlisted, had to find new homes for them all(oscar is now happily the 15" king of his own 300g tank with some silver dollars)

so anyways got out in april, my wife and i moved home, and for our anniversary my wife picked me up a 56g colum, little short but otherwise nice tank. decided it would be a good tank for a jd atleast for a while. always heard they were slow growers(compared to oscars) and alot prettier, looked into ebjds but just to high of a mortality right for me to spend that kinda cash cant get them local(tried) so im looking 60-70 with shipping for a single baby. So im going to go with a reg jd, im going to try for a female, my research indicates they stay smaller and will give more time in the 56, i still have my 75 setup out at my mothers house, but wanna hold off on it as long as possible for alot of reasons. also its going to be the sole fish except for some dither fish( probably danios) so should have some good time.

SO anyways finally to my questions.

1-im looking for a adult with some nice coloring, but looking at the ones in the lfs im seeing ones with both lighter and darker patterns, i know this could be stress, im also seeing some already showing specs of blues and greens while others hardly have anything.

2-*** been trying to learn about sexing, from what i can tell theres two ways to sex one is fins and other is colors on lower jaw/cheeks. realizing sexing babies is never entirely accurate am i right to assume the colors on the lower jaw/cheeks is the most accurate for a 2" jd.

3-Finally *** been reading about some are shy, anything i wanna look for to try to find a bolder one, i know from O's the ones that chase the others around arent always the boldest ones when stuck in a tank by them selfs.

Thanks for any help guys, ill try to get pics of the tank soon(trying to find my camera :lol: )

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
If you are going with smaller ones get a group. The blue spangles on the lower gill plate is the female, also less blue and green pearls across the body. The males are little to no blue around the lowes gill plate, and lots of blue and green pearls across the body. Jds don't grow slow,but compared to Oscar yes they grow slower. I started with oscars just like you and love the jds now. Don't get as big and a pair can be housed in a 55. I can give you a link to a very good site about jds if you want (just pm me if interested).

·
Registered
977 Posts
one of my JD males when little

growing up

latest shots

so spots on the lower jaw and gill plates, not blotches like the females

and one of the females

·
Registered
226 Posts
first nice very nice jd in pics. i sold my jd's for 50 cents a clutch of about 300. im in florida find a pond on a college camp. and you will find jd's or even canail's sad to say.. i said that to say this they love to breed.. i still have 3 runts that are over a year old that are still 2 inches and a lot of fun.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here's my little male - I just got him a few weeks ago so I don't have any shots of him growing up, I just like his coloration as a juvie.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I shoped around for a JD and wanted a pleaceful male.

the things I looked for:

1. One that wasn't picking on all of the others.

2. Lots of color=healthy fish w/ good genetics.

My guy is really peaceful, but not a push over either. They are a pretty fast growing cichlid IMO.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The 2in. Female I introduced into a tank with my 3in. Male is growing much faster than the 1.5in. Male that I introduced at the same time. So I'm not sure the growth rate of a female is slower. But the easiest way to sex is the spangles. When I first got the 3in. Male I thought it was a female because of the spangles on the lower gill plate. After a month I saw the 2in. JD in a LFS and it was pretty obvious it was a female. I would look at some pictures and even shop around before I fully invested in the wrongly sexed JD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.