Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Friday I bought a trio of F1 Otopharynx "Big Spots" from an online dealer. I did everything he recommended to acclimate the fish, turned out great. The only thing is, one of the females wasn't eating anything, but both the male and the other female were pigging out like crazy! At first, I thought it was just taking longer for her to adjust, but as of today, she is still not eating much.. :( . I feed a mix of Dainichi formulas, including FX, Colour Supreme, and XL Pro 3 times a day. Peas seemed to work, but only for the first feeding; but they were only small nibbles. Now, my male isn't really interested in eating much either, even though the other female is always hungry... :-? My water conditions are near perfect. I'll try a small water change today or tomorrow, hopefully that'll help. Any suggestions on other foods I can try?

·
Registered
9,062 Posts
Does she actually eat anything? If they are not hungry, they usally are sick, unless a holding female. Treat for bloat disease if you see any sign.

You really shouldn't let fish that just traveled by air "pig out", as their stomachs may be upset.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
I agree, it sounds like they are at the beginning phase of Malawi Bloat.

First thing you should do is to avoid overfeeding. I'd probably give them a day or two off from food. And as Dielikemoviestars asked, you should confirm the diagnosis by looking at their feces. If they are stringy and white, they probably have bloat. If they do, see the article on bloat in the library section of these forums.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't seen their poop in a while, haven't had much time to observe them. By the way, all the other fish are perfectly fine with a ferocious appetite.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are there any other potential causes/illnesses that would have a similiar effect on my fish? The male seems fine other than the fact he isn't eating (swimming around, no clamped fins, regular breathing, etc.) Female is in a floating basket at the moment, so she isn't swimming much due to lack of space. Was hoping she would've been out by now. Forgot to mention she had a bit of fin damage when I first got her, but it has now healed up - doesn't this mean she is still somewhat "healthy"?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts