Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok last year around Thanksgiving I purchased an acrylic tank. Now that my 120 is almost done for my turtles its time to start thinking about this tank. its a custom size tank 67.5"x19"x36" tall. Not my ideal tank but it was only 200 bucks. there are some minor scratches that I plan to tackel. Not what to stock in it. Any thing is possible with this tank at the moment. So lets hear it.
pics of the tank:

the trim i am trying to figure out how to remove. most was gone when i got it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
66 veiws and not one person has a suggestion on what to stock it with or anything at that. hmmm interesting

·
Registered
677 Posts
auratus and lombardoi... 1 m:7f

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
**** maybe i should have double read that.. meant to say Now what to stock in it. Only fish I will most likely turn down is angels. And monisaab I will look more in to those fish, real new to africans as kept a few CA/SA cichlids.

and if anyone has any ideas on how to remove the last bit of trim that would be helpful. thanks

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Valous said:
darn maybe i should have double read that.. meant to say Now what to stock in it. Only fish I will most likely turn down is angels. And monisaab I will look more in to those fish, real new to africans as kept a few CA/SA cichlids.

and if anyone has any ideas on how to remove the last bit of trim that would be helpful. thanks
Jumbo cyprichromis and Telmatochromis sp. temporalis shell. That'd be all you'd need, but you could add a rock dweller. You could also add a Lepidiolamprologus hecqui pair. Or go with a tropheus colony instead.

Is the piece adhered just in the corner, or stuck firm all the way to the bottom edge of the trim? You're probably going to have to try to use a dremmel tool to grind it off, but very carefully, as acrylic is very soft. If it was attached with acrylic glue (more than likely) pulling it off could seriously damage the tank. Once you get all the white acrylic off, you can sand and polish the edges fairly easily.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is stuck on, and assuming with weld on or acrylic glue. I had a feeling i would be grinding/sanding the white off. And previous people were not so nice about trying to get it off. but most of the damage is in the back. Hmm a large african cichlid tank might be a good idea. when getting the tank only fish I could think of were discus with maybe some geos. But will have to look up some of these fish suggested.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Are you sure there was trim around the tank? Those might be patches fixing damaged areas. I have yet to see an acrylic tank with trim around it, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Is that 3/4" or 1" thick acrylic?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They guy i bought it from said it was trim. And looking from the inside it doesn't look damaged. It is 3/4" thick acrylic, seemed very stable when i carried to its current location. Getting ready to start building the stand in the next coming weeks. Will be a while before the tank is up and running. Are there any catfish that are recommended to go with african cichlids.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Unusual dimensions. Cleaning it or aquascaping is gonna be a bear. It's not wide enough to easily climb inside either. I'm just throwing out ideas here, so take 'em or leave 'em, but stocking is more based on surface area than water volume, although more volume = more stability.

So, having said that, if I were building everything from scratch, I'd almost build up a stand that's lower than normal, then have a bottom trim piece that comes up about 8 inches along the sides of the tank, hiding the bottom 8 inches. So where the wood ends and the tank begins, it is normal height (say 30 inches give or take) Then I'd get some insulation foam and put down about 6 inches worth of that inside the tank, gluing it in really well, then add 2-3 inches of sand on top of the foam. Now you've got a tank that is effectively 28 inches deep and hopefully easier to deal with. You've given up volume, but not stocking capacity.

It's actually a shame you can't somehow partition off the bottom and make it an in tank sump, but I don't know how you could ever get to it once set up to maintain it.

Of course, if you're an agile lanky person who can maintain it, a 36" tank has a huge wow factor.

As for stocking - what can't you stock? It's almost a 6' tank. I'd put in large haps myself, or maybe some Frontosa. You've got to do something you can't do in a smaller tank.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bung, lucky for me I am kinda tall and lanky. I currently have a 30" tall tank, but its 24" deep. As far as the short stand is a must as my house only has 7ft ceilings. Frontasa also crossed my mind but feel they wont use the top of the tank, and price was another factor in not getting them. But after some research alot of fish I am interested in are all semi exspencive. So comes down to what's more eye apealing or more of what I want as the wow factor.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
synodontis catfish seem to be recommended with african cichlids. I have eupterus and they and the cichlids ignore each other.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I'd go with either Prov's suggestion or an all-male Hap/Peacock tank. That way, the whole water column will be used, and you'll have some good action/variety going on without too much of a headache.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts