Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, as most of you may know I don't think the Kenyi will be the best choice in my new setup, which will most likely consist of peaceful mbuna such as Labs and Acei, then a few male peacocks or haps.

So now my question is what do I do with my pair of Kenyi that I have now? They are about 2 1/2 - 3 inches, don't really give each other much trouble, the male just chases some people around when they get too fisty.

My options,
1. Return (I really don't want to)
2. Keep in a 29 gallon, just Kenyi
3. Put in the 75 gallon with the other mbuna and up the number of Kenyi females

Please give me some feedback really love these little guys don't wanna give up my fish. Thanks for any help :fish: :fish:

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
4th option: head to petco for the $1 per gallon sale for a 55g tank. Purchase said tank, buy additional Kenyi individuals and setup a Kenyi breeder tank.

Your option 3 is really the same as my option 4 except the kenyi have to go through all the effort of killing their tank mates in order to get 20g worth of space :lol:

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
mattawan_cichlid said:
Good call haha, how long would this male/female pair be able to stick together in a 29, cuz I need to get the 75 first.
questionable... sometimes they can last, sometimes the male tries to settle in quickly and that spells trouble for the female. If I had to put 2 Kenyi (I refuse to call them a pair since they don't pair) into a 29g tank, I'd also add plenty of tall slate, or pvc pipes in for the female to take refuge in. Worst case scenario, I'd buy a light diffusor from Lowes (also called egg crate) and cut it to fit the 29g tank as a divider. It's not attractive but it'll save a fishes life.

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
Yes I would do the divider too.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well they seem pretty cool to each other, mostly just the male chases others around. Would you recommend just the 2 then in the 29 for as long as it works?

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
mattawan_cichlid said:
Well they seem pretty cool to each other, mostly just the male chases others around. Would you recommend just the 2 then in the 29 for as long as it works?
with the egg crate purchased, cut and sitting in front of the 29g tank, yes... until the 75g or 55g was purchased.
2 kenyi "forever" in a 29g tank is not going to work... 2 kenyi in a 29g tank with no divider will work until the day the female is destroyed with little to no warning. :eek:

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
Without any distractions he is going to focus on her. Can't imagine she will last long.

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
Where did I say that? :lol:

Maybe in a 75G, but I would not even do kenyi at all in a 55G. I agree with the 1m:7f but not in a 55G.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts