Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a yellow lab currently holding fry. She's been holding about two weeks. She is in a tank with other African cichlids. I just had a different yellow lab spit out fry about 6 weeks ago, and I have that fry in a separate 14 gallon tank. The fry are about an inch long now. My question is, should I put the yellow lab who is holding now into the 14 gal tank with the 6 week old fry and let her spit there? Basically what I'm wondering is, would the 6 week old fry harrass/kill the new fry when she spits them? I don't really want to get another tank for the new fry.

G

·
i jus put relatively new fry in with about 6 or 7 week fry from my lethrinops sp. nyassae.. and the bigger fry completely ignore the tiny fry.. the tiny fry stay at the top of the tank almost the whole time and the bigger fry swim in the middle and bottom

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
6 week old fry will eat new fry in a heartbeat. I've seen it happen plenty of times. I've had 4 week old fry eat new fry.

G

·
i have relatively new fry no longer than 2 weeks old in a 10 gallon with fry thats at least 6 weeks old and 2 fish that are even older and they dont eat them... will take pic in the am cuz the camera jus died when i went to take the pic.. i guess it depends on the species

·
Registered
162 Posts
GaFishMan1181 said:
6 week old fry will eat new fry in a heartbeat. I've seen it happen plenty of times. I've had 4 week old fry eat new fry.
+1 I wouldn't take the chance. It is more likely that they will be eaten IMO.

mike715m said:
i have relatively new fry no longer than 2 weeks old in a 10 gallon with fry thats at least 6 weeks old and 2 fish that are even older and they dont eat them... will take pic in the am cuz the camera jus died when i went to take the pic.. i guess it depends on the species
It might be a species thing, but I would think it's more likely that you may just be getting lucky.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, well I'm not sure what to do. I guess the new fry would have a better chance of survival with the 6 week old fry than with the adult African cichlids. I don't necessarily need more yellow lab fry, but I'd feel bad if they all get eaten.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I've been in this situation, similar to the OP, and the larger yellow labs definitely killed the new yellow lab fry.

You can segregate the new fry in a fry net or box until they get a little bigger. Then they will have a better chance against the bigger fish. You can buy or make a tank divider (that the new fry couldn't squeeze through) and keep the new fry in one side of your fry tank.

Or, you can sidestep the housing issue by leaving the female in your main tank and letting nature take its course...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I think I will pick up a fry net today if I can find one. I have a divider that I used last time but some fry squeezed through the side. Hopefully they won't get out of the fry net.

G

·
they sell breeder nets at every local chain petstore they kinda suck thou i had one malfunction and open and 60 fry went down to 11... you have to put thick rubber bands around them so they dont come apart

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found a breeder net at Petco. It does seem a little flimsy but it's all they had. Hopefully the mother fish won't tear it apart. She is not too aggressive, but she is an African cichlid so you never know.

·
Super Moderator
40,497 Posts
Each of your females is going to spit 20 or more fry every other month. You probably can't save them all. But it's fun to try for a while. :thumb:

·
Registered
214 Posts
DJRansome said:
Each of your females is going to spit 20 or more fry every other month. You probably can't save them all. But it's fun to try for a while. :thumb:
+1 Exactly what I was going to say. When your batch of 6 wk old fry are ready for the main tank then start some new fry, otherwise if you dont want to get another tank then let nature take its course.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What age do you usually put the fry in with the adults?

I wish they made bigger breeder nets. She is about 2.5" and the breeder net is about 6"x5"! Hope she doesn't have to stay in it long.

·
Super Moderator
40,497 Posts
Six months (when they are about 1.5").

1 - 17 of 17 Posts