Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have 2 angelfish that are my wife's. both of them have some type of ulcer or open wound and i posted a topic for it. it has been about 2 weeks and i have not seen any improvement. it isnt getting worse but it isnt any better.
they are in a quarantine 10 gallon and have been getting dosed with maracyn two. that is for bacterial if i recall. what is a person to do with such fish that have an open wound or illness that will not go away?
i fear placing them back in her tank... how long can i possibly treat them with no improvement?
is it ever practical to put down a fish?
i do not want to. i just want to know the options.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I euthanized a fish after treating for six months and three different medications...some of them multiple courses of treatment. I just could not believe nothing was going to work. In my situation, the symptoms did get better, they just always came back.

It was that or stop medicating and let the illness kill him which I decided would be worse.

Does yours get worse if you don't medicate?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have one of those in with the angelfish. i didnt mention it but a kribensis has popeye.
he has gotten it over four times in like three months. i feel bad for the lil fella. i was told popeye is contagious to other fish, so he worries me as well.

when do i call it quits? i am not liking this

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no one has any thoughts on how long i should try? or if i should keep trying? anyone?

oh i didnt see the other part of your post. i havent tried to not medicate. last time i left one non medicated with a sore like this, it bloated up and died over night, then my wife lost one fish per week till i gutted the whole tank :(

everything else in the tank is doing fine. no other sores or illnesses.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
It's a personal decision how many times to try. If you feel you are there, I would move the fish to a hospital tank and finish the last course of medication. Who knows, maybe this one did the trick and he will heal up. If not you can euthanize.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts