Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My female EB johanni has been holding for the past 2 weeks or so and has just spat 3 young out into the breeding net.
I need advice on whether these are the only young shes had or are there likely to be more in her mouth?
Also will she look after them or will she eat them?
Also when is the best time to put her in the tank?
Thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
Hey bro, I would wait out and see if she scoop's them back up. You will be able to tell when there is no more eggs. Her mouth will not be as swollen and she will eat normaly. I really dont think she will eat her fry. I would but here back in the tank once I know for sure she doesnt have anymore fry in her mouth. :thumb:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
She will eat her fry. But she usually - usually - won't eat food unless there aren't any in her mouth. You could always do a visual inspection. Look @ library section and watch the video on stripping.

...taken out of context, :lol:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have seen 3 baby fish so far and now they have gone back inside her mouth, can i assume that these are her only young or is she likely to be holding more eggs?
What is an average brood for EB Johanni?

·
Registered
71 Posts
adam858585 said:
I have seen 3 baby fish so far and now they have gone back inside her mouth, can i assume that these are her only young or is she likely to be holding more eggs?
What is an average brood for EB Johanni?
How big is she? Is this her first mouthful?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Some fish will, I would expect that from experienced mom's.

I never let my mom's try it. I strip the mom then keep her in the hospital tank for a few days until she starts eating.

Then I take the fry from the breeder net and drop them in the grow out tank.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How many is she likely to have? and will they all hatch at the same time, or do they hatch one by one? Sorry for all the questions this is the first time *** experienced this and am learning as i go along.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
My experience is 15-20 first try for mbuna
All at once usually.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i am in the process of setting up a grow out tank at the moment, but for now she is in a breeding net. She has let 3 out of her mouth yesterday but they seem to have gone back in, her jaw is still massive, im just wanting her to spit them all so she can go back in the main tank, but even then im worried she will be attacked as she loks quite weak now. Any advice and tips are welcome

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just realize that if she spits the fry into the breeder net, the other adult fish in the tank can AND will suck the fry through the netting and eat them. That is why I went with just stripping the fry from the mom. My moms usually eat right away after I strip them too. I then put mom right back in the main tank. The fry go to the grow out tank.

Jman

·
Registered
249 Posts
When she is ready, she will spit them. If she is a new mom she might hold them longer. Depending on what else you have in the tank, the fry won't last but a few minutes if you don't move them immediately. That's why I started stripping the moms at about 18-21 days.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Nope. Other fish will just swim by and *pop*, get sucked right up.

Her instincts aren't very good - she wont take them back in too long - and she'll forget their hers a short while after birth.

We've seen teh videos where the mom takes back in even really small fry - but those are considerably larger fish (and may not be mbuna)

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
She herself will eat them. Not in two minutes, but in a day or two. Any other adult fish in the tank will eat them the second she spits.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
*nod nod*

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
your right they dont have very good instincts then, i was under the impression that she would look after them for at least a week or so. Guess i will just have to keep a close eye on her. Im not keen on the stripping idea as i havent done it before.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Nope, sorry. Once she spits them the fry are pretty much on their own.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts