Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been juggling my stock in the 150g over the past two weeks, this is my "show"/main tank so want it to be full of color. My current stock is as follows...

1 x Gold Saum - Female
1 x Silver Saum - Female
1 x Heros sp. Gold - Female
1 x Vieja Regani - Unknown
1 x Nic - Female
1 x ZZ Eel - Unknown
1 x Peacock Eel - Unknown
1 x BN Pleco - Female
7 x Yoyo Loach - Mix
15 Albino Tiger Barb - Mix

All cichlids are between 2-4", I switched up from Giant Danios to the Albino Tiger Barbs and I love the change - Hoping since the cichlids will grow up with the barbs and will be nicely fed that they will not consider them on the menu.

Now, to finalize the stock I'm stuck between two different fish - will be getting 3 of them. Either a trio of Geo. Orange Head or Thorichthys aureum. I like both of these species because of their size, coloration and temperament. So, what are some opinions of one over the other, or does anyone know of another species that fit the bill?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi CMN,

Sounds like you have a great tank; but, I would not add anymore cichlids. The five large growing cichlids will fill out a 150g quickly. Granted they are female so should stay smaller, I still think they will fill out your tank.

I would be afraid to add Geos with any type of Saum due to difference in aggression, similar appearance and shared areas of the tank.

Do you have any picture you can share?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah thinking about swapping out one of the female saums for two aureums. The Gold female has experienced extremely slow growth rate, but this is because she has been spawning since around 2.5-3", she's roughly 4" now. Have read that spawning at such an early age could stunt growth or really slow it down. Add that to an already slow grower and you have a two year old 4" gold saum female. She has a great personality/temperament though, even when I had a male saum in this community setup she would guard her eggs and they would all make it to free swimming fry within the tank but never super aggressive.

Don't have any pictures yet - adding a 3D slimline background tonight that I bought from Designs By Nature, excited to see how it turns out. Then I"ll need to purchase new inlets and outlets for my XP3s because the blue/green inlets will really stick out against the background :D

I'm rather happy that the Nic is female, both in terms of size and coloration, and the Regani I am suspecting is male due to the fact that it has been inseparable from the gold saum female lately.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts