Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have had my tank set up for about 2 months now and everyone seems to be doing fine... just want to see what you all think I need to add or subtract from my tank...

Standard 55 gallon with lots of rocks 2 30-60 HOB filters, weekly 50% water changes

The stock list... all are around 2"-2.5"... acei are a little smaller

4 Yellow Labs
2 red zebras
2 cobalt zebras
2 yellow tail acei
1 syndo multi

Is 55 too small to up the numbers of syndo catfish? I love this fish, but dont want them to fight or be too cramped as they grow.... the one is doing fine and is active...

Thanks for the suggestions...

·
Registered
36 Posts
They will be fine now, but MBUNAs get more aggressive as they get older. Do you know the genders of your fish??
Because unless you are trying an all male tank, you should have about 3-1 Famale-Male Ratio to spresd the aggression from males

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
I would ditch the red zebras and get 2 more acei, 1 more yellow lab, and 3 more cobalts. When they become sexually mature keep only one male of each species and the rest females.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
GaFishMan1181 said:
I would ditch the red zebras and get 2 more acei, 1 more yellow lab, and 3 more cobalts. When they become sexually mature keep only one male of each species and the rest females.
I'd probably do the same.
I think a 55 gallon could house a group of about 4 syno multipunctatus.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so I came home today to notice that one of the labs is obviously holding.....

and two smaller labs seem to be completely isolated from the crowd and are hiding in a corner....

I have two larger labs with nice markings and the pregnant female ( I meant to put 5 labs in first post)...

I am considering getting rid of the two red zebras, two small labs, and two acei and adding something different... I want to keep the two larger labs with nice markings.. assuming they are not both males??

so that would leave me with 3 labs (one holding) 2 cobalt zebras and one albino zebra(forgot him in original post)... I dont want to sell fry and will up my catfish number to take care of them.. no desire for fry.... so what could I add to the tank?? or should I get rid of the cobalt zebras too? get rid of all but the labs?

any suggestions?

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
For sure you only want one male yellow lab long term and as many females as you can get.
I dunno why folk say dump the red zebras (Metriaclima estherae) they are no worse suited to a 55g than cobalts (Metriaclima callainos) IME.
Up the Aceis female numbers, they do better in a bigger group.
Yep 3 breeding groups is a max for this size tank but best with one male of each and a large bunch of females for each.

But its play it by ear to some extent but you will have more success I think dumping the agressors rather than the bullied guys.
Keep the agressors and add more of the bullies you just up the arms race.

If most of the agression is within species (as it usualy is) you could consider having just one of each species and having a lot more dwarf peaceful types in there and forget the agro of breeding.

My guess is your tank is severly under stocked letting guys hold territories and becoming hyperdominant.
You should have way more in there at just 2-3" 16-20ish and cut down only as they grow.

All the best James

·
Super Moderator
40,482 Posts
Advice is to dump red zebras because they (a) fight/cross with callainos and (b) cross with labs. Plus too many species for a 55G.

Not wanting to sell fry is fine, but have a plan on what to DO with them. Some do not want to euthanize and the adults don't always get all the fry spit in the tank. Catfish help but you still may need to track down and remove the occasional hybrid survivor.

Malawi kept in pairs often result in dead females or sick ones that infect the tank. So if you want variety consider all-male with one of each. Or if you want mixed-gender groups have more females in each group.

If you keep the callainos and the albino zebra you are ending up with a lot of metriaclima...which could be an aggression issue.

I would have done what GaFishMan1181 suggested, but now I am not sure of your goal for the tank.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
they actually are blue zebras I think... as opposed to cobalts...

So I am looking at a lot of aggression problems huh?

Maybe I will just take out everything but the labs?? I really like the albino zebra and blue zebras....

what would be best to keep aggression down??

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Your stocking is pretty good species wise. To be honest I am slightly suprised you are having problems or expect that many. Just Tweek the sex mix and numbers and reducing to 3 types is all thats needed.
But as DJRansome says its important to know wheather this is a tank you are going to keep young from or not to give good advice.
Can you pop up a photo of the blue zebras/cobalts? It might be important exactly what they are and I am not sure we can guess from your posts. Agree Metriaclima wise you want to pick one and dump the other (two?). Just if you are not keeping young you could dump iether one but it does rather depend on the exact type you have which one would be best to dump. For a show tank the red of Metriaclima estherae might be far more apealing than the blue of the other one. Plus the blue one is more likely to bully your "Acei" I think.

Or go all male. If your not keeping young why produce them?

All the best James

1 - 9 of 9 Posts