Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was admiring a planted display tank at my LFS when this little cichlid swam right up to me and proceeded to stare at me and follow me around the tank. The employee I asked said it was a keyhole cichlid, but I don't think it looks like one. After looking through all the New World species profiles on this forum, the closest match I could come up with was the Inca Rock Fish, but this seems like an unusual species for a chain fish store to carry (Big Al's). The fish was about 2-3" long.

I took these pictures with my camera phone, so the quality isn't great, especially since the fish was afraid of the phone.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,748 Posts
Angle makes it hard. Could be a young Hypsophrys nicaraguensis but there are South Americans I could not rule out. A shot letting us see mouth shape and dorsal fin and anal fin bases would help.

Totally side on. :thumb:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It was Big Al's near Yonge and Steeles (North York/Thornhill). It was in a planted display tank at the back right of the fish room with various tetras and some kind of pleco. It was between the big shark tank and the Malawi display tank. If I go back there, I'll take with a real camera to get a better picture. Thanks for the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts